Brittany and Bobby Sharp wanted to have a colorful, couture wedding that represented the vibrancy of their love for each other, their family and their culture. So Eliana of ellyB Events worked with the couple to execute a “Peacock Couture” wedding, full of purple, green and blue flowers and décor. Guests were moved by their church ceremony, which started with soul stirring gospel music that allowed their guests to rejoice and bless the union they were going to witness. Brittany looked angelic in her unique, fashion forward dropped waist Ian Stuart Dress and handmade Ranjana Khan earrings! However, both Brittany and Bobby agree that the best moments were seeing each other for the first time and feeling the outpouring of love and support from their guests. Cathi Milanes of Milanés Photography captured all of the exquisite details and special moments of this chic wedding, including the cutest little couture flower girls. Enjoy!
- Wedding Date: 08/17/2013
- Wedding Location: Westin Hotel- Birmingham, AL
- Wedding Theme: Peacock Couture
- Color Scheme: Shades of Green, Purple, and Blue with Gold Accents
- Wedding Flowers: Mokra orchids, peonies, hydrangeas, phaleanopsis orchids, and garden roses.
- First Dance Song: Justin Timberlake, "Spaceship Coupe"! My husband chose this song. It fits us so well and carried out the theme that existed from our vintage airplane engagement photoshoot.
- Wedding Cake Flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, and Salted Caramel
- Wedding Menu Favorite: Delmonico Rib-eye that was placed over cheddar mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus. Guests were shyly asking if they could get seconds!
If I could think of two words to describe my dress, I would say theatrical and show stopping. I remember when I first began my dress search I was strictly looking for designers who created one of a kind pieces that would literally make your jaw drop. When I found Ian Stuart, I knew that I had found my designer! The dress featured a strapless sweetheart neckline encrusted with beads and crystals, along with an expertly draped drop waist bodice that lead to an explosion of flowers in tulle and lace on the magnificent skirt. A scattering of petals and leaves trickled down the tulle chapel train. My favorite accessory without a doubt would have to be my earrings, which were handmade by Ranjana Khan. Long stemmed clusters of twinkling crystal topped the chiffon bouquet earring design that literally looked as though they were made to compliment my dress!
Incorporation of Culture
One thing that I love about the African-American culture is the deep roots that exist within gospel music. I've experience the power that this genre of music has on so many people and the mood that it sets. To bring that mood into our wedding, I enlisted my childhood church's praise team to perform a short concert before the ceremony began. Guests were able to praise and worship God for all the wonderful things that he has done for his children, in particular the union that he was about to bless in the wedding of my husband and I.
Most Memorable Moment
From the bride: Every time I look back on our wedding day, the first memory that comes to my mind, is the moment that the doors to the church opened and I saw my groom. I remember that there were people sitting as far back as the last pew in the church, and still with all those people my attention was on him. It literally felt as if we were the only people in the room. That is a moment in time that I will cherish forever.
From the groom: The best memory from the wedding for me was just seeing everyone that I hadn't seen in years, all under one roof and partying with my friends that I've grown up with since elementary school.
Advice for Newly Engaged Couples
If I could give ANY advice to newly engaged couples it would be to immediately start composing your invitee list along with addresses. Getting this done early will immensely help in the long run. This was such a long task for us, because with over 200 guests, we had a lot of addresses to compile. Also it’s important to note that you are just compiling the addresses, but you’ve got to get correct spellings of names, correct titles of how to address your guests, and a guest count of who will be bringing a guest. So pull out your excel spread sheets and get started on this NOW!
- Wedding Planner: Eliana Baucicault, ellyB Events
- Floral Design: Andy Beach of Andy Beach & Co.
- Photography: Milanés Photography
- Wedding Dress Designer: Ian Stuart
- Wedding veil – Brookes Bridal
- Bride’ Shoes: Badgley Mischka
- Bridesmaids Dresses: Lazaro, Bridals by Lori
- Hostess Dresses: Jim Hjelm, Bella Bridesmaids & Wtoo, Bridesmaid Inc.
- Grooms, Groomsmen, and Usher Tuxedos: The Modern Gent
- Flower girl Dresses: That’s So Cute Boutique
- Makeup: Tiffany Flowers-Hurst, Kristie Peoples
- Hair: Michella Carter
- Ceremony location: Sixth Avenue Baptist Church
- Reception location: Westin Hotel
- Lighting: ellyB Events
- Cake: Olexa’s Café, Cakes, and Catering
- Stationery: Pampered Paperie
ellyB Events is a member of The Coterie, Munaluchi's exclusive wedding collective. Click here to view her portfolio. To learn more about The Coterie, click here.