New years usually signify new beginnings, and Chablis Davis (Jenkins) had a life changing moment as the clock struck twelve this past New Year’s Eve. After years of friendship and dating, Courtney asked Chablis for her hand in marriage, which kicked off a year full of joyful moments, highlighted by their wedding in April.
The DC couple first met on campus at Howard University. Courtney was in his last semester as a PhD student and working as a Teaching Assistant for Chablis’ Algebra class. The two had an immediate connection but kept things professional until after graduation. Chablis says Courtney is the ultimate gentlemen and she was attracted to his sweet nature.
Mr. and Mrs. Davis decided to tie-the-knot at the same place that brought them together - Howard University. They glammed up of the the school’s historical law school for their big day and payed homage to their HBCU roots in a vintage themed wedding that was just the right mix of vintage style and refinement.
Their beautiful day was captured by In His Image Photography. See how they pulled everything together and what the couple loved most about their wedding day below.
- Wedding Date: 04/05/2014
- Wedding Location: Howard University School of Law and The Carlyle Club (reception) in Alexandria, VA
- Wedding Cake Flavor: Butter cake with an almond flavored icing
- Wedding Menu Favorite: Lobster bisque and the filet mignon
- First Dance Song: "Simply Beautiful" - Al Green
- Wedding Theme: Vintage Glamour
My dress was a Jim Hjelm Designer mermaid strapless gown in ivory lace and tulle. My favorite wedding accessory were my nude Giuseppe Zanotti Sandals with a ruffle design down the center.
We incorporated culture into our wedding first by having our wedding at the Howard University's historical Black Law School. We met on Howard's campus and wanted to include the impact that he HBCU had on us.
The best memory from my wedding is waking up super early in the morning to run last minute errands with my soon-to-be husband. We often work very hard as a team and it was so funny that even the morning of the wedding, we were up at 6 a.m. He and one of the groomsmen met me and one of the bridesmaids at my hotel and we got to work. It brought a lot of normalcy to a very hectic day and served as a reminder that we'll always work together.
Advice to Brides to Be
The best wedding advice that I gan give to an engaged couple is to focus less on the day and more on the rest of your lives together. It so easy to get caught up in the details (and things will still go wrong on that day), but keep in mind that you are marrying the love of your life and fun (and work) begins afterwards.
- Ceremony: Howard University School of Law (Dunbarton Chapel)
- Photographer: In His Image Photography
- Florist: DaVinci's Florist and Lighting -
- Videographer: Ty Evans of TAE Visions
- Cake: Sweet Thing Black Orchid
- Wedding Planner: Tope Olanrewaju of Vintage Ivy Events -
- Stationery: For Your Party:
- Wedding Dress: Ellie's Bridal Boutique
- Groom’s Tuxedo and Shoes: King's Contrivance Formal Wear
- Bride’s Shoes: Giuseppe Zanotti (Gift)
- Bridesmaids Dresses: Rent the Runway
- Groomsmen Attire: David's Bridal
- Decor: Z Gallerie