Cupid struck Shirnelle and Morris at a young age. They have known each other since the 5th grade, and dated on and off in high school. However, it was not until their sophomore year of college that they decided to make their relationship official. After several years of long distance dating, fate would bring the couple together when Shirnelle attended law school in Columbus, Ohio, and Morris secured a job at Ohio State University.
As their relationship matured over the years, it became clear to Morris that Shirnelle was the love of his life, and he wanted to surprise her with an intimate proposal. While Shirnelle was at dinner with her friends, Morris created a romantic ambiance in her house, which included spelling out the words “Will you marry me?” using lavender tea candles. When Shirnelle came home Morris was waiting at the top of the stairs ready to pledge his eternal love to her.
Their spring wedding was just as romantic. Held in their home state of Georgia, the couple went for a soft and vintage atmosphere. Baby’s breath and ivory and pink roses lined the aisle of their ceremony space, giving it an ethereal feel. Morris’ most memorable moment was seeing Shirnelle walk down the aisle looking picturesque in a mermaid gown by Tarik Ediz, which featured beautiful appliques down the back. The couple incorporated a unique tradition into their ceremony. Shirnelle shares, “We decided to do a tasting of the four elements of marriage in which Morris and I tasted four ingredients that represent the bitter, the hot, the sour, and the sweet parts of marriage.” The soft color scheme of ivory and blush carried into their reception space, with beautiful ivory rosette table linens and blush roses covering their tables. Shirnelle and Morris’ devotion to each other has stood the test of time, and their love shines in every picture taken by Sophia Barrett Studios. This beautiful wedding is also featured in our Spring/Summer issue which is on newsstands now.
- Wedding Date: 03/08/2014
- Wedding Location: Buford Community Center, Town Park, and Theatre (Buford, GA)
- Wedding Theme: Soft, Romantic, and Vintage
- Color Scheme: Ivory and Blush
- Wedding Flowers: Babys Breath & Ivory and Pink Roses
- First Dance Song: Babyface- “Every Time I Close My Eyes”
- Wedding Cake Flavors: Vanilla Cake with lemon and strawberry mouse
- Wedding Menu Favorite: Herb Roasted Chicken with Lemon Cream Sauce
- Bridesmaids Gifts: I provided makeup, custom bridesmaid bags with my ladies' individual names on them, pearl jewelry sets (necklace, bracelet, and earrings). I also contributed a portion to each bridesmaid dress.
- Groomsmen Gifts: Custom glass mugs from Things Remembered with their names and the wedding date engraved on the glasses.
Have fun at your wedding and enjoy your partner. The day should be solely about these two things!
- Venue: Buford Community Center
- Caterer: Proof of the Pudding
- Wedding Planner/Decorator: Events by Marquita
- Florist: Divine Design Events
- Videography: Christopher Fenner
- Cake: The Baking Grounds
- DJ: Ron Allen
- Wedding Dress Designer: Tarik Ediz
- Bridesmaids Dresses: Bridals by Lori
- Hair: Messiah Marcial
- Makeup: Ashley Gray