Highlighting Black beauty in the 1940s, this captivating elopement-styled shoot evokes love from a bygone era.
Featured in our newest magazine, Issue No. 25, this luscious shoot oozes inspiration from the 1940s. Photographer and Director, Avonné Stalling, of Avonné Photography, shares her inspiration behind the shoot:
“I’ve collected Vogue magazines since I was a child because I loved the elegant poses and stances that made these fashion designers so powerful and high-end. It was true art. The ’40s were a high fashion era, where women were very poised, elegant, and classy. That era inspired this shoot for me. I wanted to bring a touch of the 1940s Vogue era into the modern-day wedding era.”
Honing in on her vision, Avonné turned online to gather inspiration but quickly ran into an issue; there were hardly any images, especially with African American people in them. Undeterred, she says, “…that fueled me all the more to really dig into a creative space and think of something no one has done before…”.
Ultimately combining elegant draping florals, 40’s style accessories, and playing with textures like silk, lace, and velvet, the shoot became, in Avonné’s words, an “art period piece of sorts.” And each detail came together to highlight “…African Americans in a different light, in a different era.”
Keep scrolling below for more photos from her 40s-inspired elopement!
- Date of shoot: March 9th, 2
- Location: Hotel Concord in North Carolina
- Theme: 40’s Vogue Elopement at Hotel Concord
Looking for more 40s-inspired elopement inspiration?
- Photographer/ Creative Director: Avonné Photography
- Venue: The Hotel Concord @hotelconcord
- Florals: Weddings with Barbara @weddingswithbarbara
- Chairs: Cooke Rentals @cookerentalslkn
- Dresses: Meagan Kelly Designs @meagankellydesigns
- Hat: J.V Accessories @shop.jvaccessories
- Earrings: Alivia handmade @aliviahandmade
- 40s Gloves: Amazon fashion
- Calligraphy: Delighted Calligraphy @delightedcalligraphy
- Makeup: Voga Beauty @vogabeauty
- Model: Whitney Blaine