Edgy & alternative wedding inspiration for the non-traditional couple looking to embrace bold hues, unique attire, and unexpected décor.
When thinking about fall weddings, images of elegant gold, brown, and rust hues set against crisp autumn backdrops probably come to mind. However, not every couple shares the same vision.
Maybe your ideal fall wedding includes a bit more drama than pumpkins, cornucopias, and delicate florals. Or, maybe you gravitate towards fall’s gothic energy more than traditional harvest vibes.
Ultimately, there’s no right or wrong way to plan your fall nuptials. But for couple’s looking to break tradition, check out these alternative and edgy wedding ideas below!
Skip the white dress…
Instead of wearing a traditional white gown, consider a sultry black lace dress. A dip dye skirt can also add some unexpected drama. This special dying technique is perfect for brides looking to add a pop of color to their wedding attire. Explore moody shades of gray, black, and deep jewel tones for a unique take on typical fall colors.
Don boots & booties…
For brides and grooms, swap out your traditional wedding-day heels and loafers for an edgy pair of boots. Think chunky leather platforms, knee-high lace booties, combat boots, and moto-boots.
Accessorize with leather…
Leather is classy and bad-ass. And why not embrace both on your wedding day! For added style and warmth (especially for outdoor celebrations), add a classic leather jacket to your look. For an adorably punk photo opportunity, the bride and groom can even wear monogrammed Mr. & Mrs. jackets. The bridal party can join in, too.
Concoct bold cocktails…
If ghoulish details are part of your fall wedding dreams, cocktails can be a great way to incorporate a darker theme into your wedding. Think mysterious bubbling concoctions served from steaming cauldrons with clever names, like “Till death do us part,” “Poisoned Apple,” and “Witch’s Heart.”
Get creative with nail art…
To add even more unexpected fall details, look no further than your own nails! With nail art continuing to rise in popularity, getting a creative manicure is a great way to not only accessorize, but also pamper yourself before your big day. So, instead of a classic french set, consider getting something more unique with leafy details, skulls, or black roses.
Go gothic glam & embrace dark décor…
Creating a gothic glam aesthetic is a great way to add a bit (or a lot) of spookiness while maintaining a sense of luxury. Victorian-era details, like chandeliers, and moody color palettes, such as deep burgundys and plums, alongside flickering antique candles can create an atmosphere that’s both elegant and fantastical. Ultimately, while most couple’s shy away from dark décor, in this case embrace it!
Serve savory, not sweet desserts…
For an unexpected take on dessert, serve your guests savory selections instead of sweet ones. Try a nectarine and sour cake, sweet potato, custard and sultana cake, or a salted caramel popcorn sundae.
Looking for more edgy & alternative wedding inspiration?
- Black Dress: Image from our blog; Photographed by Heather Glen of Elysian Bloom Photography @elysianbloom
- Floral Lace Dress: Designed by Claire Pettibone @clairepettibone; photographed by Stephanie Williams of This Modern Romance @thismodernromance
- Lace Boots: ‘Evangeline Elliot’ lace boots in black from House of Elliot Collection; photographed by Manda Marie Kar from Imágemária @imagemariastudio
- Leather Jacket: Image from our blog; photographed by The Times We Have
- Spooky Cocktails: Image(s) from our blog; photographed by Elysian Bloom Photography @elysianbloom
- Candles #1: Image from our blog; photographed by Hana Alsoudi
- Candles #2: Free image from Pexels; photographed by Rachel Claire
- Place Settings & Table Décor: Image from our blog; photographed by Heather Glen of Elysian Bloom Photography @elysianbloom
- Savory & Sweet Deserts: Image from our blog; Photographed by Heather Glen of Elysian Bloom Photography @elysianbloom
- Recipes: Australia’s Best Recipes