Bohemian island vibes meets Old Hollywood glamour. Heather and Charles’s wedding seamlessly weaved these seemingly opposing styles together.
When Heather and Charles met online in 2014, they quickly bonded over their love of Hip-Hop music and culture. After years of courtship, Charles proposed at sunrise in Heather’s hometown of Oahu, Hawaii!
For their California nuptials, they decided to pick a venue that reminded them of Heather’s island roots, but was also reminiscent of the Old Hollywood roots of Los Angeles. She shares, “We found this estate and loved its grand staircase and bohemian feel. We got married in February, so we stuck with a winter color palette of wine, blush, gold, earthy green, and black. This allowed our love of plants and color to take the spotlight. I always knew I wanted to wear a traditional Hawaiian lei po’o or flower crown, and I incorporated our wedding colors into it. We also really wanted to work in the Old Hollywood feel of the venue, and we stuck to rich fabrics (velvet and lace) in our bridal attire to complement it.”
Their wedding was the perfect mixture Black History, California cool, Hawaiian culture and love.
- Full Name of Couple: Heather and Charles Kidd II
- Location of Wedding: Private Estate in Los Angeles, CA
- Wedding Date: February 17, 2019
- Wedding flowers: A mix of Hawaiian tropical and California blossoms with a “handpicked” feel.
- Favorite item on menu: Our caterers specialize in Caribbean soul food which was delicious.
- First dance song: Our first dance song was “Get You” by Daniel Caesar. Charles first played it for me before we got engaged and always felt it perfectly captured the feeling of being in love.
My dress was an all lace Maggie Sottero Narissa I also wore a vegan leather jacket custom painted by my Maid of Honor which read “All Me, All the time” an inside joke about marriage.
Our wedding was a perfect representation of us. It was covered in fresh flowers and plants, super alive with music, and focused on having real moments with our guests – not stuffy traditions. Looking back, we love the mix of Black History, California cool, and Hawaiian culture weaved together to make our day.
Advice for Engaged Couples
Have fun planning and enjoy the process.
- Photographer: The Times We Have
- Wedding Planner: Tracy Bowles Flawless Weddings and Events
- Florist: Falynn Thompson Flawless Weddings and Events
- Head Lei: Leilani Kanaauao Leis by Leilani
- Bridal Gown & Accessories: Maggie Sottero “Narissa”
- Gold and Lava Rock Bracelet – Lemon Sweet Jewelry
- Bridesman suit: The Black Tux
- Groom’s Attire & Accessories: The Black Tux
- Groomsmen Attire: The Black Tux
- Cake/Desserts: Top Tier Treats
- Caterer: Grilled Fraiche
- Beverages/Bartending: Sunseri’s
- Venue: Private Estate in Los Angeles, CA
- Décor/Design: Most décor provided by Venue
- Hair & MUA: Makeup by Napoleon Jinnies & Francesca Bevens
- Rentals: Opus Event Rentals
- Invitations: The Groom- Charles Kidd II
- Signage: The MOH Aubrey Lee Glover
- Favors: Custom wildflower seed packets by PlainJane2424 on Etsy
- Videographer: Jonathan Chou
- Musicians/DJ: DJ Kwess
- Violinist: Victor Ekpo