Featured in MunaLuchi Bride Issue 25, this lush boho wedding inspiration is giving us afro-punk meets Coachella vibes and we are here for it!
Creative Directors, Élan House and Virginia and Co. , worked in tandem with Brett Seay Photography and other talented vendors to create this lush boho wedding. Set in Hillsborough, North Carolina at the Carolina Grove Wedding & Event venue, the pair revealed their plans to re-imagine the typical boho-themed wedding.
“Often we see boho with neutral color palettes and traditional southwest designs. We wanted to take the Bohemian style and make it a maximalist. We wanted this to be the Afro-punk fest that marries Coachella with an explosion of color. Hence Lush Boho was born.”
From their vibrant color palette to their unique floral designs, model choices, and edgy styling, every detail was carefully considered. Their resulting modern take on boho designs is refreshingly chic and is sure to inspire your own wedding day!
Keep scrolling below for more on their lush boho-inspired wedding.
- Date of Shoot: June 23, 2021
- Venue: Carolina Grove Wedding & Event Venue
- Location: Hillsborough, North Carolina
- Theme: Lush Boho
Working with the talented floral designer, Elan House, their design’s foundation was in the florals.
“We wanted our florals to be different and not pampas grass carefully placed in vases. Our florist has a keen eye for detail and is nontraditional. She dyed pampas grass to create vibrant colors to heighten the look. She incorporated a mix of textures, flower varieties that we typically don’t see in the design elements. To add to the southwest desert vibe, she had the idea to create custom vases lined with feathers, including wild grasses and fungus plants, gracefully dusting the edges of the vases. Élan House added tropical elements to enhance the color, texture, and lushness with custom anthuriums, King protea, and pincushions. We event put mini cactus plants in some of the arrangements.”
Choice of Models…
“It was essential for us that we showed the breadth of what we look like as black people. As we all know, representation matters and even more so within our communities. To start, we wanted our models for the look to be representative of the people we see in passing daily. We wanted to showcase a curvier bride with braids and tattoos. Our male model was the black Fabio with long dreads and a full gray beard, which added some sultriness to the look. Another model, our horse, Matt Dillon, was the highlight of the photoshoot. It created the black cowboy and stallion look of the southwest.”
Mr. & Mrs…
“We brought in our go-to team member Sia Gattis of Sia de Karyle Style. We didn’t want the traditional wedding gown or tuxedo. For the bridal gown, we wanted to showcase skin in a tasteful and festive style. Our model has a beautiful shoulder tattoo which is often covered in photoshoots, so we wanted to showcase that went for a Vera Wang halter dress. We tried to get risky, so we asked the tailor to cut the split higher and incorporate floral leggings with a gold sandal. For our groom, we wanted a cool, relaxed look that would enhance his stature and locks but with texture and thong toe sandals. We felt this would play well with our bridal options and bold colors. We didn’t receive much interest from bridal boutiques forcing us to search online and order the dress.”
The sweet details…
And they rode off into the sunset…
Looking for more lush boho wedding inspiration?
- Photography: Brett Seay Photography @brett.seay
- Creative Direction: Virginia and Co. and Élan House
- Venue: Carolina Grove Weddings @carolinagroveweddings
- Catering: Virginia and Co. @virginiaandconc
- Florals: Elan House @elanhouse
- Cake: Bespoke Dessert Bar @bespokedessertbar
- Picnic and Chevron backdrop Rentals: Greenhouse Picker Sisters @greenhousepickersisters
- Rentals: CE Rental Raleigh @ce_rental_raleigh
- Rentals: American Party Rentals @americanpartyrentals
- Makeup: Amber Lynne Beauty @erbodyluhgrannie
- Hair: Robyn Mitch @robyn_mitch
- Clothes Styling: Sia Dekarle Style & Design @siadekarle_style_design
- Shoot Styling: Vaughan Lowe Designs @a.r.interioranddesign
- Picnic: The Perfect Picnic Table @theperfectpicnictable
- Models: Kashay @everydaykashay, Von Rashad Smith @vonrashad