Classy island-chic wedding in St. Lucia has breathtaking tropical scenery, touching moments with family, culture, and lots of love.
Patrice and Bobby first met at a dinner party hosted by a mutual friend; however, their real love story didn’t begin until a few months later. After multiple coincidental run-ins, serendipity finally sealed their fate “in a haphazard re-introduction over social media.” And two years later, they are still best friends and happily in love (and yes, they survived the pandemic. So, really they can survive anything!).
Surrounded by their closest friends and family, the pair finally tied-the-knot in a gorgeous destination wedding at Sandals Grande St. Lucian resort! Their wedding style was “classy, island-chic” and also tied in elements of Bobby’s Asian culture.
In their vows, Bobby stated a poignant-sounding phrase in Mandarin for their English-speaking guests, only to reveal it was actually Patrice’s favorite “Chinese” dish! Their playful vows are a testament to their strong foundation of friendship, laughter, and love.
For more on their love story and beautiful island wedding, keep scrolling below. (Patrice and Bobby’s wedding was featured in the Summer 2021 issue of MunaLuchi Bride Magazine! View the digital magazine here.)
- Name of Couple: Chaozhen Bobby Chen and Patrice Michelle Chen
- Location of Wedding: Sandals Grande St. Lucian, Gros Islet, St. Lucia
- Wedding Date: January 23, 2021
- Photographer for Wedding: Stanley Babb – Stanlo Photography
- Wedding flowers: Phalaenopsis Orchids with Baby’s Breath
- Favorite item on menu: Surf & Turf!!
- Bridesmaids/groomsmen gifts: Groomsmen received a tie, overalls, and custom watch-themed cufflinks and the Bridesmaids received rompers, tumblers, and other fun things!
- First dance song: “U Move, I Move” – John Legend
- Advice for brides: “Your wedding day is about you! Don’t let anyone steal your shine. Everything might not go as planned but that’s okay. You’re marrying the love of your life and that is what matters most!”
How they met…
The couple first met at a dinner party hosted by a mutual friend. At the time, Bobby thought Patrice was “out of his league.” She simply assumed he wasn’t interested.
So, months passed by. They even had several “coincidental run-ins.” However, “the opportunities simply weren’t compelling enough to break the ice.”
“Until one day,” Patrice says, “serendipity sealed our fate in a haphazard re-introduction over social media. Two years later, we are best friends, lovers, and even survived 2020 together!”
How they knew they were “the one”…
“When you know you know!” Patrice exclaims. “Simply, we couldn’t see ourselves spending our lives without each other. You attract what you’re ready for.”
Patrice and Bobby incorporated several cultural elements into their wedding.
During their vows, Bobby actually stated a phrase in Mandarin for their guests who only spoke english.
“Although he said the phrase in a profound and sentimental manner,” Patrice recalls, “when it was translated the phrase meant “honey garlic chicken and egg fried rice.” This is actually Patrice’s favorite “Chinese” dish!
Bobby adds, “one of the parting gifts for the wedding guests was chopsticks with my Chinese surname (Chen) engraved on them.”
Describe your wedding style.
The couple describes their wedding style as “Classy, Island Chic.”
Her wedding dress and favorite wedding accessory…
Patrice raves about her dress (as she rightly should! She looked radiant!).
“My wedding dress was phenomenal,” she says. “It was an off the shoulder gown with a slit on the side. The dress was named “Queenliness” which described the look perfectly.”
Best memory from their wedding…
“Other than seeing my husband cry with tears of joy as soon as he saw me, I’d have to say having the opportunity to walk with my 86 year old father down the aisle. I’ll never forget that moment,” she says. “Oh yeah, the first dance with him was special too!”
Advice for other engaged couples…
“Communication is key,” Patrice says. “It sounds cliché but there’s nothing better than having open and honest communication with your partner. Ensure your foundation of friendship is strong.”
Day after Photo-session…
Looking for more classy island chic wedding inspiration?
- Photography: Stanlo Photography
- Bride’s dress: Pollardi Fashion Group
- Bridal salon: The Artisans Beauty Salon
- Bride’s headpiece and/or veil: SuReina Bridal
- Bride’s shoes: Magosisters
- Bridesmaids dresses: Amsale
- Cakes/desserts: Sandals Resort
- Catering: Chefs at Sandals Resort
- Ceremony venue: Over-the-Water Chapel (Sandals Resort)
- Event decor/design: Island Chic (Sandals Resort)
- Entertainment: DJ (Sandals Resort)
- Event planner: Sandals Wedding Team
- Florals: Sandals Wedding Team
- Groom’s attire: Dolce & Gabbana and Vince Camuto
- Hair: The Artisans Beauty Salon
- Makeup: MUA TTT Tia
- Reception venue: The Beach at Sandals Grande St. Lucian
- Videography: Bricks Group Media