Cancer Surgeon and PA wed in a fabulous 4-day wedding week where it all began on a medical mission in Jamaica.
Is there anything better than a white sand beach, beautiful sunsets while sipping on rum punch, and picturesque cliffs overlooking the emerald green sea in Jamaica? Yes!!! Doing it while meeting your future husband.Palak (The Bride)
On August 11, 2013, Palak and Kevin headed to Kingston, Jamaica with a group of 30+ medical providers on a medical mission. Unbeknownst to them, this trip would bring their paths together and forever entwine them. Over the next 10 days, they spent their time treating patients and enjoying free time in the evenings getting to know each other. On August 23, they had their first date at Thai Chef in Montclair, NJ. Now, almost 8 years later, they are engaged and getting married where it all began!
Set at The Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa in Jamaica, they tied the knot in a traditional Indian wedding. Kevin’s Jamaican roots were also incorporated throughout the day in their location, music, and dishes served. On their unique cultural combination, Palak recalls their wedding having the “Best food, lots of dancing, and partying. Reggae music and Indian music is the best combination and the spices oh my!”
Their 4 day wedding week consists of all the events Indian weddings would traditionally have, including a Welcome Reception/Sangeet Night (Music Night) on March 3rd, a Mehndi Event (Henna) on March 4th, Grah Shanti Event (Pooja) on March 5th, and Baraat (Groom’s Procession) followed by a Wedding Ceremony and Reception on March 6th. Each event was filled with simple chic details and pops of color that added to the weddings effortless beauty.
Their wedding was the ultimate celebration and they couldn’t imagine a better way to say “I do” than being surrounded by all of their favorite people in one location. More sweet details below!
- Couple: Palak Patel & Kevin Clarke
- Occupations: Palak is a Physician’s Assistant and Keven is a Cancer Surgeon
- Date of wedding: March 6, 2022
- Location of wedding: The Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa (Jamaica)
- Theme: Effortlessly beautiful, simple and chic
- DIY details: Welcome bags, reserved seating signs, phoolon ki chadar (canopy bride walks under) handmade by the bride’s best friends sister
How they met…
My husband and I are both in the medical profession. He is a cancer surgeon and I am a Physician Assistant. We met on a medical mission in Kingston, Jamaica in 2013 when we traveled to underserved areas to provide free medical care.
Welcome Reception/Sangeet Night – Day 1
The proposal was 100% Kevin’s style. It was simple and intimate. Just the two of us and Gizmo (our dog). On January 17, 2021, we returned from spending the day with Kevin’s family in the Bronx. A little after 6pm, I was getting ready to sit on the couch and have my yogurt, when Kevin got down on one knee and pulled out the most gorgeous ring and asked me to marry him. There were no bells and whistles, but it was everything.
Mehndi Event – Day 2
Grah Shanti Event (Pooja) – Day 3
The Wedding – Day 4
Favorite wedding day details…
I loved the location of the ceremony, the programs, the simple yet beautiful wedding sign, the decorated wedding golf cart we left in, I loved the canopy my brothers held up for me while walking down the aisle (this was custom made by my best friends sister) both of our outfits and my wedding jewelry.
Other personalized details included welcome bags for each guest with very meaningful items inside, such as his and her favorite candies. We also had coconut waters during our ceremony, custom ceremony programs with a cute cartoon picture of us. We also honored his father and my grandmother who passed away in a couple ways by reserving seats with a sign and also attaching a custom designed pin to my bouquet of both of them in a picture frame.
Custom shot glasses for guests (filled with alcohol to take prior to taking their seats) were another fun element. Our guestbook was a Bob Marley coffee table book we plan on using in our home in a meaningful way, and we also had a personalized itinerary for each welcome bag and placed thank you cards for each guest in their reception napkins. Little snack bags packed with goodies flown all the way from India, custom fans for the ceremony, and having each reception table labeled as one of our favorite travel destinations are just a few more special details! We also had a travel-themed custom table seating chart that read: “Where in the world are you sitting.”
Baraat (Groom’s Procession)…
Here comes the bride…
Mr. & Mrs…
How they chose invitations, flowers, their venue, and attire…
Our venue was chosen because it catered to southeast asian weddings. They had an Indian chef and an Indian restaurant. I knew I needed something that was all-inclusive as I didn’t want the guests to worry about food or alcohol. I knew I needed a large enough resort for all our guests.
For invitations, I looked on Etsy and found something that was very simple but so beautiful and elegant. The invitations were so perfect, with all the details.
Our flowers were imported. While Jamaica has tropical flowers, I wanted something more muted and romantic. with more pastels.
Advice for other couples planning a destination wedding…
1) Start early
2) Stay organized
3) Have a team to appoint things to, you cannot do it ALL
4) Be reasonable with your budget
5) Trust the process
6) It all goes by so fast, you will wish you could go back in time after it is done, so enjoy it
Reception space & decor…
Their first dance…
Looking for more wedding week inspiration?
- Wedding Designer: Rochelle Cheever of The Elopement Experience
- Wedding Organizer/Planner: L’Amey Rosebloom
- Main Photographer: Rochelle Cheever
- Assistant Photographer: Janique Reynolds
- Gown Designer: Seema Gujral
- Groom’s Clothing Designer: Tarun Tahiliani
- Catering/Restaurant: The Grand Palladium Resort
- Shoe designer: Jimmy Choo
- Wedding Submission Services: Published + Pretty
- Venue: The Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
- Rings: Oxford Jewelers
- Bridal Jewelry Wedding: Zinzuwadia Jewelers
- Bridal Jewelry Reception: Divine Solitaires
- Watches for Bride and Groom: Cartier
- Hair and Makeup Artist: Flawless Beauty by Pauline
- Videographer: Unique Vision Studio
- Invitations: Etsy
- Welcome Party & Mehndi MUA: Rasine
- Pooja MUA: Joni Stone
- Henna Artist: Henna By Urvee