Jay and Janel’s wedding was intimate and romantic: no bridal party, no big extravagant affair.
The focus was on them and their beautiful love, surrounded by their very best friends and family members. It was an authentic celebration of their faith and dedication to each other.
Read about their charming love story and see their gorgeous photos captured by Esmee Kyles of Incredibly Wee Photography below.
- Full names of couple: Jarrod and Janel Scott
- Occupations: Jarrod is the owner of a photography and video production business and also has a separate audio-visual services company. Janel is a Digital Marketing Executive for an advertising company.
- Wedding date: 11.23.19
- Wedding location: Richland, MS
- What gifts did you give to your bridesmaids and groomsmen: Janel – I didn’t have any bridesmaids. Jarrod – I gave each of them gold neckties.
- Ceremony entrance song: God’s Wondrous Works (Song 5) – Sing Out Joyfully to Jehovah (Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society)
- First dance song: “Angel” by Lalah Hathaway (Remake of Anita Baker’s song)
How did you meet?
Janel was visiting the town we both currently live in now and a mutual friend invited us both out to do karaoke that evening. Neither of us did any karaoke that night. Haha.
Tell us about the proposal
It was beautiful! Each month we pick a day and activity for that month’s date. For that month, Jarrod suggested that we do a photoshoot for our date night. We got all dressed up and began taking our pictures around sunset on the rooftop of a local boutique hotel. It was lovely! The rooftop is equipped with a bar, furniture, and string lights. The photographer asked me to do a pose where my back was facing away from the camera. On the last shot, the photographer asked me to turn around and face him and Jarrod was down on one knee. It was so intimate, it was just us and our photographer. Although it was just the 3 of us, Jarrod captured the entire proposal on video. He told me before we starting taking pictures that he just thought it would be a nice idea for us to have some “behind the scenes” shots. We finished the night off by celebrating with a few close friends.
Dress – My dress was a simple white sheath dress, with an illusion lace sweetheart neckline, long lace sleeves, and a small train.
Suit – Jarrod wore a fitted black tuxedo, with a white shirt, black cufflinks, and a sleek black tie.
What was the wedding shopping experience like for you?
I went to 2 different stores knowing that I wouldn’t find what I wanted in the store because I wanted a dress that was very simple and had long sleeves (because I’m always cold). I went dress shopping at a couple of stores just to have the experience of shopping for a dress with my friend and mother and mother in-law. In the end, I just purchased my dress online.
What is your best memory from your wedding?
Janel – There were so many, but seeing how happy Jarrod was the entire day and in the weeks following the wedding was the highlight of it all for me. I’ve never seen his eyes light up like that or seen him smile so big. He is still talking about how special our wedding day was.
Jarrod – The most memorable part of the wedding for me was waiting for the officiant, who is also my comical uncle, to say that I could kiss my bride. He delayed in giving me the “ok”, so I just went for it. Me being so forward made everyone laugh.
What is the best wedding advice you can give to engaged couples?
Jarrod – Don’t put too much emphasis on the wedding day, but think about life after the wedding.
Janel – Display unselfishness when making wedding decisions. Marriage is about giving and making compromises. That starts well before the wedding day. By considering the things that matter to your future spouse before thinking of yourself you increase their happiness and your own. It also prepares you for life ahead.
- Photographer – Esmee Kyles of Incredibly Wee Photography
- Makeup Artist – Simeon Seaton
- Hair Stylist – Jennifer Berry-Kelly (A New Me For Me Salon) – (IG: @anewmeformesalon)
- Wedding Planning, Day of Coordination, Decorating, and Florals – Erica Hartwell & Monica Morris (Affairs to Remember) – (IG: @m_morrisatr)
- Videographer – Michael Paul (20Twenty Visuals) – (IG: @20twentyvisuals)
- Cake – Maria (The Cake Diva) – Maria De La Barre
- Caterer – Charles “Chuck” Donald (Chardon’s Hospitality, LLC)
- DJ – Don Bilbro – (IG: @djdrboogie)
- Dress – Mia Bella Couture
- Tuxedo – Belk
- Venues- Capital Club (Jackson MS) & Richland Community Center (Richland, MS)