Nicole and her husband, Alex, wanted a special wedding, but without the headache of an over-the-top affair. They decided on a minimalist ceremony where they could have fun with their family and friends. She didn’t have to spend months trying on dresses, once she saw the design she liked she searched for a designer on Etsy and had her create a stunning look that was perfect for her. Except the gorgeous handmade gown, everything from the outdoor venue to the bridesmaids dresses were very simple. Pictures of the couple from childhood were placed on clothing lines, the guests dined on southern fare, and danced the night away. Their photographer, Nicole Bass, did an amazing job capturing the beautifully simple wedding, the love of the couple and their guests radiates from the photos.
- Wedding Date: 08/10/2013
- Wedding Location: Arlington Town Hall, Arlington, MA
- Wedding Theme: Simple
- Wedding Flowers: White and green hydrangeas, peach roses, pink and coral dahlias.
- First Dance Song: “Spend My Life With You” by Eric Benet and Tamia
- Wedding Cake Flavors: We actually served frozen custard cake. The two tiered cake we cut was mint Oreo and vanilla. The other cakes that guests had were peach and cake batter or cookies n cream.
- Wedding Menu Favorite: Everything was delicious! You can’t go wrong with a BBQ and Southern food menu.
- Bridesmaids Gifts: The bridesmaids received jade bracelets from The Svelte Group that provides seed money for family farming in Ethiopia.
- Groomsmen Gifts: The groomsmen received personal gifts from our honeymoon in St. Lucia.
Like so many brides, I used Pinterest as a springboard for dress ideas. I immediately fell in love with many of the open back dresses with lace overlay. The ‘scarlet’ dress by Monique Lhullier was the perfect silhouette. A gut feeling told me to search Etsy for handmade dresses that might look similar. I found a seamstress who creates custom bridal gowns; my dress was made from scratch and fitted perfectly for ME, It was the best moment in the 11 month wedding planning process! The front of the dress wraps over my shoulders delicately to support the generous keyhole back. The dress looks like a seamless piece of lace that is fitted through the bust and waist. My favorite accessory is the bird cage veil I borrowed from a friend with a bit of feather detail.
Most Memorable Moment
The first look photos we took before the ceremony. Alex was surprised to see me and our photographer caught that moment on camera.
Plan more for your marriage than for the wedding. The wedding may be the best day of your life but your marriage should bring happiness for years to come.
- Wedding Dress Designer: Erin Coleman of Bridal Bliss Designs
- Bridesmaid dress: All were made or bought independently
- Hair: Styled by Bride
- Makeup: Styled by my talented bridesmaids.
- Shoes: Bakers
- Ceremony Location: Arlington Town Hall
- Reception Location: Arlington Town Hall
- Photographer: Nicole Baas
- Stationery: Cartamodello
- Florist: Whole Foods
- Cake: Abbott’s Frozen Custard