Remember the Cinderella movie in which singer/songwriter, Brandy, played Cinderella? Morgan used that movie as inspiration for her Cinderella inspired wedding day. She says, “I wanted to emulate Brandy from the movie “Cinderella” for my wedding look.”
Morgan, a Press Secretary for a NY State Attorney, and Ben, a Staffer at the Nassau County Board of Elections, met at a College Democrats conventions in Washington, D.C. back in 2013 and dated for 5 years before Ben proposed. Their Long Island, NY wedding was a perfect blend of blush and ivory hues and infused with multicultural traditions. The couple jumped the broom to honor Morgan’s African-American heritage and broke glass in honor of Ben’s Jewish heritage.
Learn more about their love story and wedding details below,
- Couple: Morgan and Ben
- Occupations: Morgan is a press secretary for New York State Attorney General Letitia James. Ben is a staffer at the Nassau County Board of Elections
- Wedding date: September 1, 2019
- Wedding location: Jericho Terrace in Mineola, NY
- How they met: They met at a College Democrats conference in Washington D.C. on August 1, 2013
- Bridemaids/Groomsmen gifts: The bridesmaids got necklaces, earrings, totes, tumblers, and bottles of wine. The groomsmen got engraved multi-use tools
- Gifts for one another: Nothing. We figured the wedding was a big enough gift for ourselves, so we just wrote notes to each other for the morning-of.
- Ceremony entrance song: Bridesmaids – “Canon in D” // Bride – “Young and Beautiful” by Lana Del Rey (instrumental)
- First dance song: Seal – “Kiss from a Rose”
Tell us about the proposal:
We got engaged on February 10, 2018. We went to an escape room with Ben’s parents in Brooklyn. Upon successful completion, we all took photos. As the photographer was taking photos of us, Ben got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. After the initial shock, I said “yes”!
Wedding Style: What was the wedding shopping experience like for you?
I wanted to emulate Brandy from the movie “Cinderella” for my wedding look. I had an off-the-shoulder ball gown by Essense of Australia, an elegant updo with tendrils framing my face, a cathedral length veil, and a crystal headpiece. Ben had a light grey tux from Men’s warehouse, with a plum vest and tie to match wedding colors. The shopping process was easy for me because I knew exactly what I wanted from Day one, so all I had to do was go out and get it.
Culture: Did you incorporate any culture into your wedding?
It was very important for us to incorporate our cultures, because I am Black, and he comes from an Italian, Russian, and Jewish background. During the ceremony, we jumped the broom (an African-American tradition) and broke the glass (Jewish tradition). For our wedding favors, we had Jordan Almonds, which are popular at Italian weddings. The five almonds signify five wishes for the couple: health, wealth, happiness, fertility, and longevity. For an additional favor, we gave everyone Black and White cookies, which are a New York staple, and more obviously represent our interracial love.
Memories: What is your best memory from your wedding?
My favorite memory was dancing with our family, our friends, and with my new husband! It was amazing seeing everyone from all parts of our lives come together on the dance floor with such happiness and excitement over our marriage. I’ll cherish those moments forever.
Advice: What is the best wedding advice you can give to engaged couples?
The day goes by in the blink of an eye, so if you can, take a step back with your partner and take it all in. Everyone there is there for you, and that’s an amazing thing to realize in the moment. Also, don’t sweat the little things. Everything may not go 100% according to plan, but no one but you will notice. Looking back at the wedding, you’ll wonder why you worried.
- Officiant: Rev Roxanne Birchfield @MarriedByRevRoxy
- Photographer: Silverfox Weddings @Silverfoxweddings
- Videographer: Onphilm Productions Onphilm
- Flowers: Flowers by Burton @FlowersByBurton
- DJ: DJ Constantine Ptohos w/ 74 Events @74events
- Limo: Camelot Limo @CamelotLimo
- Bride Hair/Makeup: Mia Farah @MiafarahBeautique
- Bridesmaids: Hair/Makeup Alex Denaro @AlexanderDenaroBridal
- Dress: Essense of Australia — Blossom Brides @EssenseofAustralia, @BlossombridesN
- Bridesmaids Dresses: David’s Bridal @DavidsBridal
- Men’s Tuxes: Men’s Warehouse @MensWarehouse
- Flower Wall: Don’t Toss The Bouquet @Dont_Toss_The_Bouquet
- Hotel: Viana Hotel and Spa @VianaHotelAndSpa
- Venue: Jericho Terrace @JerichoTerrace