When people take the train in NYC, they usually are laser focused. They want to get on and get off. But when Ashley and Sean crossed paths on the 2/3 express train in NYC, it was almost as if fate placed them there. Ashley recalls, “The train had delays, so Sean decided to sit next to me.” They sparked a conversation, which led to a beautiful long term relationship.
Sean supported Ashley through nursing school in Stony Brook, Long Island. It was a 2 hour commute from where he stayed in Harlem. But, Ashley recalls, “Sean always made sure to come up to school and surprise me, especially when I was stressed out with my classes. “ Ashley was everything Sean was looking for in a woman, beautiful inside and out. He felt he could truly be himself around her, so it was an easy decision to ask her to become his wife.
Their wedding was the perfect reflection of their culture and personalities- chic with a touch of tropical vibes. They both love the color black, so they made sure everyone in their wedding party wore this classic color. They wanted a wedding venue that reflected their love for travel and their African roots, so they chose the Roger Williams Botanical Garden in Rhode Island. The foliage of the garden reminded them of their countries of origin: Guyana and Cape Verde. Their wedding was a perfect fusion of city glam and island sophistication.
- Full names of couple: Ashley Cummings and Sean Cort
- Occupations: Ashley – Registered Nurse, Sean – Dean at a Charter School
- Wedding location: Providence, RI – Roger Williams Botanical Center
- Wedding date: October 4, 2019
- Wedding Party Gifts: Bracelet, earrings, robe, slippers, and individual thank you cards.
- Favorite item on the menu: Salmon
- First dance song: “Never Too Much” by Luther Vandross
How did you know they were “the one”?
Ashley – I was in nursing school in Stony Brook, Long Island. That’s about a two hour commute from Harlem. Sean always made sure to come up to school and surprise me, especially when I was stressed out with my classes. He was like a break from all of the deadlines and exams of school. Also, the moment he walked into my parents house, my Mom yelled at him, and he still made her laugh – I knew it then.
Sean – Ash had everything I physically was looking for in a woman. But what sealed the deal for me was her ability to just “chill,” meaning she allowed me to be me. There’s no pressure to impress her or be anybody else besides myself. That realization happened during a very long car ride to her parent’s house in Massachusetts. We said nothing to each other for a while, and I felt the energy was not forced and it was pure.
Ashley – My best memory was dancing with my father. He picked the song, so it was a surprise to me until that moment.
Sean – The best memory from the wedding was when all of my groomsmen asked me 1 million times if I was going to cry. I reminded them 1 million times I was a G. When I saw Ashley walk down the aisle, of course I cried! I still am a G, just a married one now.
Advice for Engaged Couples
Hire a wedding planner; don’t argue; hold each other accountable for deadlines, payments and tasks.
- Officiant: Serenity Ceremonies
- Photographer: Yuri Photography
- Wedding Planner: Behind the Design
- Design & Decor: Behind the Design
- Florals: Fern by Boston Rose
- Venue: Roger Williams Botanical Center
- Cakes: Cakes by ToniMarie
- Catering: Sara’s Cooking
- Videographer: Together Forever Films
- Rentals: Rental Depot
- Lighting: Dee Jay Mott
- Linens: Rental Depot
- Drapes: Simplistic Charm
- MUA: Doll Face Boston
- Wedding Dress: Allure Bridals
- Bridal Salon: Alexandra’s Bridal Boutique
- Bride’s Headpiece: Beautelicate
- Bride’s Shoes: Jimmy Choo
- Hair: Shawnette Peterson
- Makeup: Doll Face Boston
- Groom’s Attire: 5001 Flavor
- Bridesmaids Dresses: Dessy
- Groomsmen Attire: 5001 Flavor
- Stationery: Boxed Wedding Invitations
- DJ: Hypatonez
- MC: DeeJay Mott