Maria Demeke and Mark-Andrew Tebong’s nuptials were a true blending and celebration of their heritage and cultures. They met in DC while attending two events being held at a Bar – one for Black Ivy League Alumni and one for Young African Professionals. They caught each other’s eyes from across the bar and the attraction was instant.
When they were planning their summer nuptials, they knew it would be important to have a wedding that celebrated their multicultural roots! Maria’s family is Ethiopian and Irish-American, and Mark’s family is Cameroonian and British. Maria shares, “We integrated our East and West African cultures as well as our European and American heritage into our nuptials through the food, music and ceremony.” Nadia D Photography beautifully captured the regal ambiance of this gorgeous wedding. Make sure to visit the gallery to see all of their stunning photos.
- Wedding Date: 08/10/2013
- Wedding Location: Washington, DC
- Wedding Theme: East Africa meets West Africa in a Royal US Capital Affair
- Wedding flowers: Pansies and roses
- Wedding cake flavor: Five layer, fondant pound cake made by Susan Tebong, Mother of the Groom.
- Favorite item on Wedding Menu: 30 different Ethiopian and Cameroonian dishes
- First dance song: Ave Maria
- Bridesmaid’s gifts: Ethiopian purses made by Hana T
- Groomsmen’s gifts: Engraved Flasks
For the church and first part of the reception the bride wore a classic A-line ball gown with a tailor made belt. For the second part of their reception, the bride wore a traditional Ethiopian dress with a modern twist. The most striking element of the dress was the traditional hand embroidered tilet cross designed on the back of the dress.
Most Memorable Moment
Sitting on the church alter, looking out and seeing and feeling all of the love from our family and friends.
Relax and enjoy! Your wedding is one of the few moments in life where your collective family and friends gather to celebrate and support you together– relish it!
View more images in the gallery!
- Invitations and stationary: Hilina Kebede at Bliss Invite / Touched by Paper
- Photography: Nadia D Photography
- Flowers: Mante Gizaw at Chateau Florist, DC
- Makeup: Shaune Hayes DC
- Ethiopian Traditional dress: Yefikir Design
- Cake: Susan Tebong, Mother of the Groom
- Hair: Sossina Bitu
- Ceremony: St. Augustine’s Catholic Church
- Reception: Mellon Auditorium