We love a good digital love story, because it proves you can really find love anywhere.
Karla and Denzel met on the online dating site, Plenty of Fish. Their first date was at Starbucks, and they dated for 8 months prior to making it “official” on September 25, 2016.
Almost three years later, Denzel took their relationship to a new level when he asked Karla to marry him in front of family and friends during what was supposed to be a mother’s day dinner!
They happily dived into wedding planning when the pandemic stopped everything. Karla shares, “We were initially planning a wedding for 160 guests on May 25, 2020, but COVID-19 had other plans! With lots of prayers (and tears), we decided to move the wedding to September 13, 2020.” They worked with their venue to put safety first, and still had a romantic, elegant and classy wedding full of stunning pink, peach, and cream decor.
See all of the lovely details below.
- Couple: Karla Jackson & Denzel Turntine
- Occupations: (Denzel) IT Auditor supporting security compliance (Karla) Social Media Consultant
- Location of Wedding: Mayflower, Arkansas
- Wedding Date: September 13, 2020
- Wedding flowers: Our flowers were o’hare roses, faith roses, tibet roses white tulips and peach ranunculus with field peach dahlia’s in the center and pops of greenery using seeded eucalyptus and Italian ruscus.
- Favorite item on menu: Prima Chicken Pasta
- Bridesmaids/groomsmen gifts: The bridesmaids were gifted, silk floral robes, wedding jewelry, wedding makeup, custom hangers with their name on it and handmade natural soap. The groomsmen were gifted cigars and engraved wooden boxes that included whiskey stones and personalized glasses.
- Wedding favors: Custom mask and custom hand sanitizer for all guests.
- Ceremony entrance song: Never Felt This Way – Brian McKnight
- First dance song: Ribbon in the Sky – Stevie Wonder
- Advice for brides: Do whatever you and your hubby have envisioned for your special day. It is your day and life together. Remember you can’t please everyone. 😊😊
How They Met
Would you believe us if I told you that we met on an online dating site? Believe it, we met on Plenty of Fish! Early February 2016, Denzel slid into my direct messages on the dating site and the rest is history. Our first date was at Starbucks on February 11th. We spent time dating and really got to know each other for 8 months prior to making it “official” on September 25, 2016. Denzel is originally from Little Rock, AR and I am from Rochester, NY – we always wonder how we would have ever met if it wasn’t for Plenty of Fish!
On May 10, 2019, Denzel took our relationship to a new level and asked me to spend the rest of my life with him. With the help of my family and friends Denzel planned a surprise dinner in a private room at Morton’s Steak house inviting my closest family and friends to witness this joyous moment. The dinner was originally supposed to be a Mother’s Day dinner for my Mom, but it turned out to be the most perfect engagement dinner! With love in the air and in our hearts — of course, I said yes! The
How did you know they were “the one”?
(Denzel) I remember thinking of all the qualities that made Karla perfect for me when planning the proposal. I thought about qualities such as; the caring nature she has that comforts everyone that she comes in contact with, the positive energy and joy she exudes so effortlessly, and the unchanging love she showed me throughout our time together. I knew Karla was someone I wanted to spend the rest of my life with and start a family to instill those same qualities as the foundation.
(Karla) Everything was different with Denzel and I know it sounds so cliché, but I would literally feel a spark when we were together. He and I just clicked and could talk hours on end about anything, we didn’t take each other too seriously, and could always be our natural selves. I won’t ever forget how I cracked a joke about his outfit on our first date at Starbucks (surprised I got a second date! LOL) – we still laugh about this joke today!
What were you initially planning for your wedding, and how did COVID-19 affect your wedding plans?
We were initially planning a wedding for 160 guests on May 25, 2020, but COVID-19 had other plans! With lots of prayers (and tears), we decided to move the wedding to September 13, 2020. Since we were hosting the wedding in Arkansas and my family was traveling from New York –we were still so uncertain if the wedding would happen in September. We made the tough decision to move forward with the wedding understanding that all our family and friends may not make it. We ended up having 70 guests at our wedding and it was PERFECT, and our venue did everything they could to follow all safety guidelines while making sure everyone felt comfortable and had a great time. Denzel and I never wanted an engagement longer than a year and were just ready to start our lives together. God ultimately had other plans and let me tell you, our special day was more than worth the wait!
Describe your wedding style.
Our wedding colors were peaches, pinks, golds, and creams. When planning, our wedding planner Monaia Onyeyiri asked us what we wanted our wedding theme to be and we replied “romantic, elegant, classy, and whimsical!” And she and her team delivered — the florals and decor were PERFECT! Totally a dream come true!
Denzel and I are the true definitions of opposites attract. He is more reserved while I am more extroverted, and together we make the perfect match. We enjoy hosting our friends at our home for delicious meals, cocktails, and good laughs – an overall great time. And we wanted this same experience for our guests at our wedding. Our wedding hashtag #TurnUpForTurntine was perfect for us.
Describe your wedding dress and your favorite wedding accessory.
I probably tried on 30-40 dresses before I chose my gown. Being tall everything just seemed to fit me well. I’ve always envisioned myself in something fitted and when I tried on my gown, I just knew it was the one! The beaded bodice was beautiful and gave me the extra sparkle I was looking for.
I’d have to say my favorite wedding accessory were my shoes! It took me forever to find a shoe that matched my dress, but then I found my Badgley Mischka ankle strapped sandals. The crystal details on the toe strap matched perfectly with the beading on my wedding dress.
What is your best memory from your wedding?
(Denzel) My favorite moment was standing at the alter waiting on my beautiful bride to walk down and meet me. I went through a mix of thoughts all within those few minutes standing there. I was replaying all my favorite moments together, thinking about my vows, and experiencing all the emotions that came with the moment. It was a surreal experience because I knew within a few minutes I would be taking my bride’s hand in marriage and creating new experiences as a married couple.
(Karla) A memory I have of just the two of us would have to be our first look. I was filled with so many emotions and couldn’t wait to see my groom. There was so much love between us during this photo session, you can literally see it in our photos – our love was captured perfectly. Some of these photos are my absolute favorites from our wedding day
Our wedding day was perfect – being surrounded by all the love from our closest family and friends is indescribable. We’re so thankful for all the love and support shown to us especially during COVID-19. We will cherish these moments forever.
What is the best wedding advice you can give to engaged couples planning for their wedding during the COVID-19 epidemic?
Be sure to do research on your wedding venue and see how they are handling COVID-19 guidelines and procedures. Also, be sure to examine how they are caring for their clients during this time. We’re so thankful for Angelo’s Garden! Their COVID-19 procedures put safety first and didn’t take away from the best day of our lives. Their flexibility to accommodate our date change gave us so much relief. Neither of us could have predicted this pandemic but Angelo’s Garden handled it with grace and gave 110% customer service along the way. This really made all the difference and made all the unpredicted changes a little easier to deal with.
- Photography: SkyTouchePhotos – Uche Onyeyiri
- Bride’s dress: Sottero Midgley
- Bridal salon: StarDust Celebrations
- Bride’s veil and earrings: David’s Bridal
- Bride’s shoes: Badgley Mischka
- Bridesmaids dresses: David’s Bridal
- Groom’s attire: The Black Tux
- Groomsmen attire: The Black Tux
- Hair Stylist: She The Salon – Cushena Scott
- Makeup artist: Artistry Is Everything – Hanady Cruz
- Videographer: Wesley Patrick Sayle – SkyTouchePhotos
- Live Stream: SkyTouchePhotos
- Officiant: Pastor Earnest Thomas
- DJ: Klassik Entertainment – Jonathan Nunn
- 360 Photo Booth: Klassik Entertainment – Jonathan Nunn
- Violinist: Lexington Porter
- Catering: Marketplace Grill
- Wedding cake & groom’s cake: PattiCakes Bakery
- Bartender: Lastcall Bartending Service
- Ceremony & Reception venue: Angelo’s Garden
- Event decor/design: Angelo’s Garden and AG Floral And Designs
- Wedding planner/ Coordinator: Monaia Onyeyiri – Angelo’s Garden
- Florals: AG Florals And Designs
- Custom dance floor: Chris Owens
- Lighting, Rentals, Linens: Angelo’s Garden
- Custom signage: Keepsakes By K
- Custom wedding day filter: Sanay Lemus
- Bouquet preservation: Lonely Pine Preservation
- Stationery: Zola