Bollywood performances by the bridal party are just one of many highlights of this couple’s elegant Indian wedding in Chicago!
Originally matching on Tinder, Max and Rizina’s love story begins in Chicago during the summer of 2016. Max had just moved to the city that past year and Rizina was just starting dental school. The pair instantly clicked. They bonded over their shared sense of humor, passion for food, and their love of dogs. Chicago became the home of many first for them. As Rizina neared the end of dental school, they decided to move in together and just before graduating, together they fostered their first puppy! They named him SoDi, a humorous nod to Social Distancing, as he joined their family in April 2020 during the Pandemic.
After taking these steps together, they knew they were ready for the next phase in their relationship. Max asked Rizina to be his wife on an intimate stroll along the south riverwalk in Chicago. Of course, she said yes! A few days later, they headed to India to celebrate Rizina’s cousin’s wedding – and now also their own engagement! They lovingly refer to the trip as their “engagement moon.”
Keep reading below for details on their elegant Indian wedding and check out photos from their beautiful Bollywood performances!
- Couple: Max Foley & Rizina Hakimiyan
- Occupations: Max is a Software consultant and Rizina is a dentist
- Wedding date: April 16th, 2022
- Wedding location: Library at 190 South LaSalle (Chicago, Illinois)
- Gifts for their bridesmaids & groomsmen: Groomsmen received cigars and custom zippo lighters. Bridesmaids received accessories for the day, including bangles, a necklace, earrings, and tikkas.
- Gifts for one another: Flowers & a Wendy’s gift card
- Ceremony entrance song: Thousand Years by Vitamin String Quartet
- First dance song: They started slow with Fly Me to the Moon, then threw in some Bollywood moves with Maahi Ve and Morni Banke
How they met…
Max took Rizina for a walk on the south riverwalk and had a few friends waiting to capture the moment. When we got back to our apartment shortly after, there was a small surprise party waiting for us. A few days later, we left for India to celebrate Rizina’s cousin’s wedding – and now also the engagement! We lovingly refer to it as our “Engagement-moon.”
An emotional first look…
Wedding style, attire, & shopping experience…
We worked with two different designers, both out of Detroit with tailors in India. One for the bridal party and one for the bride & groom. Both Max’s ceremony tux and reception sherwani were custom tailored as was Rizna’s reception lehenga.
Rizina’s white ceremony ensemble was completely ordered online. The dress was under $100 from Lulu’s and just had to be hemmed. The rest of the shopping/booking would not have been possible without Ashley and the SEG team.
Portraits in the city…
The bride & groom…
Bridesmaids & Groomsmen…
Reception space & decor…
Their first dance…
We included the Indian culture through mango lassi’s and a variety of traditional north Indian food. At the end of our ceremony, flower garlands were traded along with the wedding bands. Then we switched into a sherwani and lehenga for the reception. We also had a 20min Bollywood dance at the reception – the bride & groom’s first dance(s), the couples’ parents, bridal party, and group finale. We inadvertently found out a hand-full of them were meant for the stage!
Best wedding day memories…
Max shares, “We had a funny and private moment during the cake cutting which puts a smile on our faces every time we talk about it. The dances were phenomenal and are a shining star in the memory bank.”
For Rizina, she loves “that first view of the aisle and the MOH & Best Man speeches.”
Wedding advice for other engaged couples…
Wedding planning can be stressful, remember to take deep breaths together and enjoy the moment. Wine helps!
Looking for more elegant Indian wedding inspiration?
- SEG Planner: Ashley Lytel of The Simply Elegant Group
- Photographer: Brian L. Coss of Coss Creative
- DJ/MC: Holly Bolly Unlimited
- Video: Andrew Phan & New Pixel Films
- Floral/Decor: Atmosphere Events Group
- Caterer: Ashyana Catering
- Beauty: Carla Duca Makeup Artistry
- Bar: Binnys Beverage Depot
- Cake: Sweet Mandy B’s
- Choreography: Meher Dance
- Photo Booth: Pixter Photo Booths
- Hotel: JW Marriott Chicago
- Venue: Library at 190 South LaSalle
- Bride’s Dress: Lulus Weddings