Not too many brides can say they were married at the same church as their parents.
For Katrina and Brandon, it was important to have their ceremony at the church Katrina grew up in, in Virginia. She shares, “Our wedding was held at the same church, 31st Street Baptist, as my parent’s wedding. Our family has deep roots in the church and my Great-Grandmother’s name is even inscribed on the bible that sits at the altar. I had always dreamed of being married at 31st as it was the church I grew up in, and I have so many fond memories. In addition, since I was a pre-teen I had always dreamed of having my reception at The Jefferson Hotel, which is a 125-year old 5-star and AAA Four Diamond historical hotel. It is one of the finest hotels in the nation based on its breathtaking architecture and superior service and food.”
After Brandon proposed during a surprise birthday trip to New York City, the couple, who lives in Los Angeles, started planning their Virginia wedding from afar. They made sure their wedding was filled with memorable moments. Katrina reminiscences, “As I walked down the aisle to the quartet, organist, and trumpet playing Prince of Denmark, it was literally the way I always imagined. The reception was fun and a few of my favorite memories were us being announced, us doing a soul train line, and of course, the electric slide to the song “Candy” by Cameo.”
See all of the beautiful details below.
- Full names of couple: Brandon and Katrina Barr
- Occupations: Katrina, Contracts Specialist and Brandon, Computer Software Engineer
- Wedding date: 5/31/2019
- Wedding location: Richmond, VA
- Bridesmaids and groomsmen gifts: The bridesmaids received jewelry, their make-up for the wedding day and gift bags with personal messages that included gift cards to their favorite stores. I wanted to give my bridesmaids gifts they would find useful and be excited about. They loved them! The groomsmen received personalized leather wallets with their initials.
- Ceremony entrance song: “Wild Thoughts” by DJ Khaled featuring Rihanna
- First dance song: “Diamonds and Pearls” by Prince
How did you meet?
At an E-Trade Workshop in Downtown Los Angeles.
Tell us about the proposal.
Brandon is quite the romantic. He took me on a surprise birthday trip in August 2018 to New York City! I had no idea we were going on a trip until the night prior when he presented me with a cake that said “Happy Birthday, Ready for the Airport?” And I didn’t know exactly where we were going until we were about to board our flight. Since I had been wanting to return to New York, I was beyond ecstatic when I found out! Brandon and I went out for a romantic dinner for my birthday on Friday and throughout the weekend to other great places, including the Statue of Liberty where he proposed to me on Sunday! New York will always hold a special place in our hearts.
Describe your wedding style.
I wore a beautiful sleeveless lace, tulle, royal organza and ornately beaded customized Martina Liana dress that sparkled. My husband wore a bespoke tuxedo that featured an elegant black paisley design from luxury Italian fabric designer Fratelli Tallia di Delfino.
What was the wedding shopping experience like for you?
I went to several bridal boutiques before finding my dream dress. I knew I always wanted a dress with some sparkle and one that accentuated my figure. Luckily, I was able to have the designer customize the dress prior to shipping, so it worked out great! For my husband’s tuxedo, he wanted something that would set him apart from many other grooms, hence us deciding on a bespoke tuxedo with black paisley fabric that wasn’t overwhelming, but gave him some uniqueness and added elegance for the day.
Did you incorporate any culture into your wedding?
We jumped the broom : ) We also took communion, did a unity candle ceremony and a chord of three strands ceremony during our wedding.
What is your best memory from your wedding?
There are so many! Do I have to just pick one?: ) I guess I would say walking down the aisle – hearing the trumpet, organist and quartet play the Prince of Denmark while being led down the aisle by my dad while locking eyes with my Groom the entire time. It was amazing. [We did not do a first-look].
What is the best wedding advice you can give to engaged couples?
Start planning early! Also, make sure you heavily research your vendors and make sure you choose the things you want for your wedding based on your tastes and not other people’s.
- Photography: Amy Anaiz (New York, NY)
- Wedding Dress Designer: Martina Liana (customized dress)
- Wedding Dress Tailoring: Grace Bridal Couture (Los Angeles, CA)
- Wedding Dress Salon: The Ivory Suite (Pasadena, CA)
- Bridesmaid Dresses: Bella Bridesmaids (Beverly Hills, CA; Nationwide)
- Shoes: Imagine by Vince Camuto
- Ceremony Location: 31st Street Baptist Church (Richmond, VA)
- Reception Location: The Jefferson Hotel (Richmond, VA)
- Videography: Paperboys (Fredericksburg, VA)
- Florist: Blooms at The Jefferson (Richmond, VA)
- Hair: Krown Beauty
- Stationery: Manhattan Repro (Redondo Beach, CA)
- Musicians: Silverleaf String Quartet and a Trumpeter; Ms. Juana Thompson (Organist)
- Groom’s Attire: Tailoring by JB Clothiers (Los Angeles, CA)
- Groomsmen Attire: The Black Tux
- Mirror Photo Booth: The Social Party Booth (Richmond, VA)
- DJ’s: DJ Lonnie B. and Danja Mowf (Richmond, VA)
- Transportation: RVA Trolley