Fairytale Ballroom Wedding in Garner, NC has an emotional first look, a grand-staircase entrance by the bride, and elegant décor.
Jazmine & Erik describe their wedding day as “seamless and perfect!”
Beginning with mimosas, breakfast, hair, and makeup, and a photo session with her girls in the presidential suite at the Sheraton in Downtown Raleigh, Jazmine couldn’t wait to say “I-do.” After getting glammed up, they traveled to the Grand Marquise Ballroom to await the ceremony (and take more pictures, of course!).
Before her grand entrance, Jazmine shared an emotional first look with her Uncle to honor her deceased father. “We were both a ball of emotions,” she says. “However I needed that because my nerves were all over the place.”
Then, finally, it was time! Jazmine fulfilled her wedding dreams by descending down a gorgeous staircase. With guests seated in 4 quadrants around a middle awning of flowers, Jazmine and Eric exchanged vows in the center of the ballroom. A reception filled with dancing, beautiful speeches, and love followed!
For more on Jazmine and Erik’s love story and details from their fairytale ballroom wedding, keep reading below.
- Couple: Jazmine Walker & Erik Highsmith
- Occupations: Clinical Research Associate & College Football Coach
- Wedding date: October 17, 2021
- Wedding location: Grand Marquise Ballroom, Garner NC
- What gifts did y0u give to your bridesmaids and groomsmen: The groomsmen received customized shot glasses and bowties. The bridesmaids received pedicures, customized slippers, robes, and earrings.
- Gifts for one another: The groom received an all expenses paid camping trip. The bride received a Range Rover Velar.
- Ceremony entrance song: “Too sexy” by Drake & Future
- First dance song: “All my life” by KC & Jojo
How they met…
Jazmine and Erik first met at their freshman orientation at UNC-Chapel Hill. On move-in day, Erik happened to be assigned to assist Jazmine with moving into her dorm. He was immediately “love struck” and sparked up a conversation. He even boldly professed his interest, stating: “Jazmine, you will be my girlfriend soon.” She laughed and thought he was crazy. Her mom was “mortified to learn of someone making bold claims upon the first meeting.”
But Erik did not give up! He pursued Jazmine with a passion. While she was focusing mostly on cheerleading and academics, she did find time to sprinkle in a bit of “playing hard to get.” However, eventually, Erik’s persistence, cunningness, and gentle soul grew on her. The pair ultimately bonded over their love for family, sports, and soul food cooking. The rest is history!
For Erik’s 30th birthday, Jazmine decided to plan a special surprise dinner for him. With her own busy work schedule, she enlisted the help of a party planner. Little did she know, Erik was also planning a surprise of his own!
Working with Jazmine’s mom, aunts, and best friend, he planned everything from a photographer to asking her friend to convince Jazmine to get ‘white nails’ for the event. Luckily the night was an all black party, so it didn’t take much convincing!
When the big day arrived, Jazmine “felt a huge sigh of relief knowing the cat was out of the bag.” The evening was filled with good food, laughs, and so much love! After dinner, Eric proposed a toast. He began his surprise proposal speech and Jazmine had no idea what was about to happen.
Then Jazmine’s best friend suddenly cued the proposal song “Best Part” by H.E.R. and Erik began professing his love. He finally got down on one knee and asked her to marry him! Jazmine didn’t hesitate – she said yes in a heartbeat!
Jazmine looked stunning in a customized Ese Azenabor wedding gown and Erik showed off his style in a customized suit from JT’s Tuxedo Rental Company.
Wedding shopping experience…
Jazmine’s wedding shopping experience was admittedly “seamless.”
“I met Ese Azenabor at a trunk show at Elegancy by Roya-Tyson’s corner in Virginia,” she says. “I described my dress style to [her] and she took it from there with designing the most elaborate dress.”
The couple hired a vocalist to sing the Lord’s Prayer during their ceremony. They also completed a sand ritual to honor both of their families and bring them together as one.
Best wedding day memory…
For Jazmine, her best wedding day memory was “walking down the aisle with [her] mom giving her away.” The moment was especially sentimental for her with the passing of her father.
To honor her late father, her dress designer stitched her father’s name in Swarovski crystals on to her veil.
“I truly felt that he was there in spirit with me,” she recalls. “[And] we shared a special moment in those few moments leading up to the point of her giving me to my husband.”
Reception space & décor…
Cutting the cake…
Toasts to life & love…
Advice for other engaged couples…
After planning their own wedding, Jazmine and Erick advice other couples to “do things exactly the way that you want to do them.”
Jazmine adds, “Don’t allow the opinions of others to sway how you envision your special wedding day.”
Looking for more fairytale ballroom wedding inspiration?
- Dress: Esé Azénabor
- Venue: The Grand Marquise Ballroom
- Planner: Lakela Bell-McLean of Mr. & Mrs. Events Planning
- Coordinator: Lisa King; Exclusive Events by Lisa
- Florals: Vilma Zamora of Genesis Eventos florales
- Photography: Crystal Cofie Photography
- Videography: Christian Wilson of PEO Productions
- Cake: Cake Couture NC
- Dj: Cool Receptions
- Band: Kathy Watkins Song Bird & Company
- Catering: Cake Couture NC
- 360 Photobooth: Skyy’s Kreations Photo Booth
- Bride Hairstylist: Nekecha Mckoy Next Level cademy
- Chair Rental: Royal Chair Rentals
- Suits: JT’s RSVP suites and Tuxedos
- Bridesmaid Dresses: Jessica Angel purchased from An Affair to Remember
- Bridal Party Hair: Damihya Reade
- Linen/ Plate Rental: Party Reflections
- Makeup: Amirah Williams Look In The Mirah Beauty