The lush, natural beauty of an outdoor wedding is always mesmerizing.
Thomas and Hillary took full advantage of the California sun and beautiful greenery of the Marbella Country Club when they exchanged vows in a gorgeous outdoor ceremony.
Thomas was all about the details sporting basketball cufflinks, a velvet bowtie, a navy blue, paisley tuxedo, and Louboutin shoes. Hillary was a dream in a full-skirted, A-line, strapless gown with a lace bodice.
While their wedding was filled with memorable moments, they share “Our favorite memory of our wedding is Hillary walking down the aisle and the obvious joy we both couldn’t contain throughout the ceremony. Our personalities were apparent throughout and neither of us can remember ever attending a wedding with as much laughter. “
There isn’t a photo where they aren’t smiling from ear to ear. See all of the details from their spring wedding below.
- Couple: Thomas and Hillary Blunt
- Occupations: Thomas – Basketball Coach and owner of youth basketball program (HBT Hoops) Hillary – Middle School teacher & administrator (Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion)
- Wedding date: March 30, 2019
- Wedding location: San Juan Capistrano, California
- Bridesmaids and groomsmen gifts: Bridesmaids: Custom champagne flutes with their names. Groomsmen: Engraved flasks with their initials
- Gifts for one another: Our honeymoon in Ixtapa, Mexico
- Ceremony entrance song: “Why I Love You” by MAJOR
- First dance song: “My Heart Belongs to You” by Jodeci
How did you meet?
When Hillary moved to Los Angeles, Hillary and Thomas met through the matchmaking of Hillary’s older sister and Thomas’ best friend.
Tell us about the proposal.
Thomas proposed to Hillary on their two year anniversary while on a Staycation in Los Angeles. During the evening of their anniversary, Thomas arranged for their family and friends to be ready to surprise Hillary as they watched him propose on the balcony of the London Hotel.
Describe your wedding style.
Thomas wore a custom made navy blue paisley tuxedo with basketball cufflinks and Louboutin dress shoes. Hillary wore a full-skirted, strapless gown with a lace body.
What was the wedding shopping experience like for you?
Hillary flew to Minnesota to search for wedding dresses with her mother. She fell in love with her dress at the first wedding shop they browsed. Thomas found his tuxedo print on the internet and located a tailor who could replicate his desires for the perfect wedding day tux.
Did you incorporate any culture into your wedding?
During our wedding, we intentionally selected our favorite African American artists for all of our major song choices. Hillary’s grandmother also performed an African water ritual to honor our families and ancestors who came before us.
What is your best memory from your wedding?
Our favorite memory of our wedding is Hillary walking down the aisle and the obvious joy we both couldn’t contain throughout the ceremony. Our personalities were apparent throughout and neither of us can remember ever attending a wedding with as much laughter.
What is the best wedding advice you can give to engaged couples?
Make a timeline to help alleviate some of the pressure. Make lots of lists for organization. But don’t forget that this day is special because of the two of you, not because of the work you feel like you have to put into it.
- Photography: Ashley Strong Photography
- Bridesmaids Dresses: David’s Bridal
- Hair/Makeup: Foxy Faces by Jen
- Shoes: Lulu’s for Hillary, Louboutins for Thomas
- Ceremony & Reception Location: Marbella Country Club
- Videography: Jamal McClerkin of JDM Creative
- Florist: 800RoseBig
- Cake: Sweet Traders
- Groomsmen Attire: Men’s Wearhouse
- DJ: Makai with Vox DJs