Courtney and Robert’s wedding in the backyard of a private residence proves that intimate weddings can still be glamorous.
Love is worth the wait. Robert and Courtney met 8 years ago at a skating party through a mutual friend and immediately developed a friendship. After denying their chemistry for years, they finally let love take its course and started dating seriously in 2017. Two years later, Robert proposed during Courtney’s 33rd birthday trip to Paris!
With a strong foundation of love and friendship, Courtney and Robert happily started wedding planning. COVID changed their wedding plans, but having an intimate wedding with just their family and best friends ended up being the best decision.
See all of the details from this chic wedding below.
- Couple: Courtney Crittenden Williams/Robert Lee Williams, Jr.
- Occupations: Courtney is a Principle Acquisition Program Manager for the Department of Defense and Robert is a Senior Account Executive for Amazon Web Services
- Wedding date: October 10, 2020
- Wedding location: Private Residence in Bowie, MD
- Bridesmaids and groomsmen Gifts: Bridesmaids received personalized Bride Squad T-shirts, champagne and personalized champagne flute. Groomsmen received engraved Swiss army knives and gold chain.
- Gifts for one another: On our wedding day, Courtney got Robert Bond No. 9 cologne. Robert got Courtney a Michele watch.
- Ceremony entrance song: “Laugh Now Cry Later” by Drake
- First dance song: “The Point of It All” by Anthony Hamilton
How did you meet?
Robert and Courtney met 8 years ago at a skating party through a mutual friend. They didn’t start dating immediately. Robert had more macking to do. However, they did develop a friendship and after denying the love chemistry for some years, they finally let love take its course and started dating seriously in 2017.
Tell us about the proposal.
In 2019, on Courtney’s 33rd birthday trip to Paris, Robert proposed on Halloween! He said he felt like he had to secure his boo. On the morning of the 31st, after landing and settling into the Airbnb, but before exploring all that Paris had to offer, Robert asked Courtney what was her favorite color. With the crisp, fall air slowly crawling in from the outside terrace, Courtney responded “Red” and to her immense surprise, Robert displays a bright red, heart-shaped jewelry box…and was on his knee! It was happening! The answer was “YES” many times over! We are now almost 4 months into forever!
Describe your wedding style
The wedding shopping experience was a beautiful and fun experience. I started looking through bridal magazines and following bridal pages on Instagram. I was immediately drawn to an oversize/detail train with a sweetheart neckline, I thought it would accentuate my curves and tall statue. Luckily I went dress shopping with my mother, mother-in-law, sister/maid of honor, and best friend before COVID. I also said “yes to the dress” at the end of February. It was meant to be since weeks later the world was shutdown. One of the only things I had going into quarantine was my wedding dress.
Robert donned a custom made tuxedo.
Did you incorporate any culture into your wedding?
Robert and Courtney jumped the broom after saying I do as an ode to their ancestors who at one time were not able to legally wed and therefore used the “jumping of the broom” as a way to signify a commitment to each other in the form of marriage.
What is your best memory from your wedding?
My best memory from my wedding is seeing everything come together. Being able to marry the love of my life in an intimate ceremony with our parents and best friends is a memory I will cherish forever. COVID certainly changed our wedding plans, but in a beautiful way, we could have never imagined. I will always remember walking down the aisle so anxious to marry Robert! I remember thinking, “We did it.” We planned and executed a beautiful wedding during a pandemic…and I wouldn’t change a thing.
What is the best wedding advice you can give to engaged couples?
Our best wedding advice we can give to engaged couples is to protect their peace, respect and celebrate differences, and to make sure you are marrying your best friend.
- Wedding Planner & Event Designer: Events by Andre Wells
- Photography: Burroughs Knight Photography
- Wedding Dress Design: Allure Bridal
- Wedding Dress Salon: The Bridal Room
- Maid of Honor Dress: Windsor Store
- Hair: Tasha Gaymon
- Makeup: Renata Kelly Rippy – Capitol Bride
- Shoes: Badgley Mischka
- Ceremony & Reception Location: Private Residence in Bowie, MD
- Tent & Lighting: Sugarplum Tent Company
- Videography: Teneille Gibson
- Florist: Sue Bluford
- Cakes: Couture Cakes by Sabrina
- Stationery: Magnet Street
- Grooms & Best Man Attire: Custom Tuxedo
- DJ: DJ Setfire
- Violinist: Marvillous Beats
- Soloist: Kacey Williams
- Custom Face Masks: Designs by Shonnied