Having an intimate chapel wedding proved to be the perfect decision for Alida and Lionel.
The couple originally met in Burundi, East Africa in the 7th grade, but fate would have them reconnect in 2015 in China! With a love story expanding continents, they decided to get married in the country they now call home, Canada.
Alida shares, “Our wedding was simple and beautiful. Just family and a few close friends due to Covid. Everyone was themselves, we ate, drank and danced. Beautiful speeches, lots of laughter, and tears. It was just beautiful. We would not wish to have it any other way.”
See all of the gorgeous details from their intimate wedding below.
- Full Name of Couple: Alida & Lionel Njeneza
- Location of Wedding: Wedding Belle Chapel
- Wedding Date: 08-08-2020
- Wedding flowers: White Roses
- Favorite item on the menu: Everything ( We went to a Jamaican buffet )
- Maid of honor Gift: Pandora’s Necklace
- Best-man’s Gift: Cufflinks
- First dance song: Custom-made song for us by the groom’s Cousin who’s a music producer as a wedding gift.
Tell us how you met and all about the proposal.
Alida: We knew each other from back home (Burundi) as we were in the same class in grade 7 but were not really close. We met again in 2015 when Alida moved to Canada from China. We instantly had a huge crush on each other.
Alida: I really found Lio super handsome (hotter than he did on his Facebook or back when we were teenagers). We went on our first date the next day.
Lionel: I booked a boat and told Ali that I wanted us to spend a day at the boat as it was a hot summer day. I tricked her into teaching her how to ride and as she was focused on riding I went on my knee and asked her to marry me. She had no idea, she was speechless and she said Yes. Later on, I took her to her favorite restaurant for dinner.
How did you know they were “the one”?
Alida: I could be myself around him from day one, he made me laugh a lot ( still does), we understand and see most of the things the same way, the moment he asked me to move in with him I just knew he was the one.
Lionel: I asked her to move in with me 6 months in the relationship, at the time she lived in Ottawa and she agreed and moved to Kitchener to be with me, I just knew I was gonna marry her.
Did you incorporate any culture into your wedding?
Describe your wedding style.
Our wedding was simple and beautiful. We had just family and a few close friends due to Covid. Everyone was themselves, we ate, drank and danced. Beautiful speeches, lots of laughter, and tears. It was just beautiful. We would not wish to have it any other way.
Describe your wedding dress and your favorite wedding accessory.
My wedding dress was simple and elegant. I wanted a dress that I could walk around and dance to without having any issues.
My favorite accessory was my bouquet, I know it’s not really an accessory but it was custom made with my parents’ and my sisters’ photos since they couldn’t make it to the wedding due to Covid.
What is your best memory from your wedding?
Alida: Beautiful speeches from everyone, they made us laugh and cry. Having everyone we love there was just beautiful.
Lionel: Seeing everyone that I love (especially my mom) happy for me and my wife.
What is the best wedding advice you can give to engaged couples?
Have the wedding of your dreams, not somebody else’s.
Advice for brides: Find your perfect wedding dress, everything else will fall into places. Enjoy your day to max and have fun with it.
- Photography: F10 Studio (@F10Studio / www.f10studio.ca)
- Videography: F10 Studio (@F10Film / www.f10studio.ca)
- Bride’s dress: Wedding expo & second dress from David’s Bridal
- Bride’s headpiece and/or veil: Icing
- Bride’s shoes: Aldo
- Bridesmaids dresses: David’s Bridal
- Cakes/desserts: Alpine Cafe
- Catering: Ellison’s Bistro
- Ceremony venue: Wedding Belle Chapel
- Event decor/design: Marvelous Creations
- Entertainment: DJ Omar
- Event planner: Marvelous Creations
- Florals: Marvelous Creations
- Groom’s attire: Mores
- Groomsmen attire: Mores
- Hair: Black and White Barbers
- Lighting: DJ Omar
- Linens: ABC Rental Cambridge
- Reception venue: Home Backyard
- Rentals: ABC rental Cambridge
- Stationery: Ellison’s Bistro