This Kenyan American style wedding stuns with a gorgeous bespoke gown made of Nigerian fabrics, gold and blush decor, and sweet details – including cupcakes!
Wanjiku & Paul’s love story starts through social media on their alma maters, Clark Atlanta University and St. Augustine’s, Alpha/AKA pages on Facebook. Connecting online and then in real life, a bond quickly formed between them and they’ve been inseparable ever since!
Following an intimate rooftop proposal in 2020 at a sushi bar in Miami, they tied the knot in July 2022 at the Wimbish House in Atlanta, Georgia. Their elegant and classy wedding was filled with so much love and happiness! They brought Wanjiku’s Kenyan roots and Paul’s American backgrounds together through the music they played, dishes they served, and traditions they incorporated (including a Libation ceremony, the pouring of ancestors).
- Couple: Wanjiku Kamuyu-Anderson & Paul Anderson
- Date of wedding: June 3, 2022
- Wedding location: Wimbish House in Atlanta, GA
- Theme: Kenyan American style wedding
- Ceremony entrance song: “The One He Kept for Me” by Maurette Brown Clark
- First dance song: “Best Part” by Daniel Caesar featuring H.E.R.
How they met…
Social media on our Alpha/AKA page on Facebook
We got engaged on July 3, 2020. Paul took me to a rooftop sushi bar in Miami. We had amazing views of the ocean. We ordered food and drinks then while the sun was setting, he proposed!
Wedding style, attire, & shopping experience…
My dress was custom-made. My dress was African fabric (Nigerian) with a ballroom design with gold and blush colors. For Paul’s suit, we wanted something classy and elegant while incorporating the fabric of my dress with his bow tie and handkerchief.
We incorporated my African culture (Kenyan) with my mom and Paul’s American culture.
Favorite wedding day memories…
We have two favorite memories: Officiate’s words and our libation ceremony (pouring of ancestors).
Reception space & decor…
Wedding advice for other engaged couples…
Be intentional about your planning. Make sure you stick to your budget, do whatever works best for you and your partner, get a good wedding planner who is involved and who will take your ideas and make them a reality, do not spend every minute planning, more importantly, enjoy the process.
Looking for more Kenyan American wedding inspiration?
- Ceremony/Reception Location: The Wimbish House in Atlanta, Ga
- Wedding Dress Designer: Laury Bride
- Bridesmaids Dresses: Azazie
- Makeup: Richard Lomax
- Photography: Tenola Plaxico
- Caterers: Time to Remember
- Balloons: The High Low Fashionista
- Cake: Yecats Cake Studio
- Florist: MNBlooms
- Grooms attire: Men’s Wearhouse; Bow tie and handkerchief by Laury Bride
- Groomsmen attire: Men’s Wearhouse
- Wedding Planner: Jasmine Arizmendi-Smith of The Creme Agency
- Day of Coordinators: Ravi and Taylor Daniel Dontay Events
- Shoes: Top Rated Shoes