Tamara and Javonte have know each other since elementary school!
They were classmates in the 4th grade and kept in touch over social media until they eventually started dating in high school. Their relationship grew stronger each year, even surviving the ups and downs of grad school and military training. Taking their time paid off. They were able to accomplish their goals while planning the wedding of their dreams.
Their fabulous fall wedding took place at a stunning manor, and beautifully mixed orange, green, ivory, and grey tones. See all of their gorgeous wedding photos below.
- Full names of couple: Tamara & Javonte Twitty
- Occupations: mental health therapist (Tamara) & uniform division officer (Javonte)
- Wedding date: October 2, 2020
- Wedding location: Manakin Sabot, Virginia
- What gifts did y0u give to your bridesmaids and groomsmen: bridesmaids received a slide adjustable rose gold diamond bracelet and groomsmen received a custom yeti tumblr from the black-owned shop Buffaloe Creations
- Gifts for one another: we gifted each other our favorite cologne/perfume we each have wanted for years but never purchased. His: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford, hers: Perfect by Marc Jacobs. We wanted our wedding day scents to be one we’d always remember and reminisce on when we come across those scents again
- Ceremony entrance song: “My Song” by HER
- First dance song: “Best Part” by Daniel Cesar ft HER
How did you meet?
We were classmates in the 4th grade and remained friends through social media until starting to date in high school.
Tell us about the proposal.
The proposal took place during my graduation party from ODUs masters program in May of 2019. Javonte also just graduated a week before from training camp. As everyone was socializing and taking pictures on the rooftop terrace at the Grain in Norfolk, Javonte dropped to one knee, gave a moving speech, and asked me to marry him. Literally frozen in surprise, I said yes!
Describe your wedding style.
The dress was an ivory and pewter beaded lace motifs and Swarovski crystals. It had a strapless sweetheart neckline, tulle fit-and-flare skirt trimmed with beading, and horsehair. Closing the back with a snug corset closure. His suit was hunter green custom head to toe heavy tweed 3 piece suit crafted from 100% wool. He was able to customize every part of his suit from the lapel sizing to button details.
What was the wedding shopping experience like for you?
Shopping for gowns was way easier than expected. I went to 3 boutiques in one day and found one dress at each I loved! At the final shop, I was torn between two Maggie Sottero dresses but chose the one that made me feel the most like a bride. Searching for bridesmaids’ dresses was the hardest part for me because my groom chose the toughest color for his tie to match with for the satin material I wanted. Then ended up changing his tie 3 weeks before the wedding! Talk about livid, but everything ended up flowing together perfectly.
What is your best memory from your wedding?
His: first look, we decided on the first look to help relax our nerves before walking down the aisle, also allowed us extra alone time between the ceremony and reception to just enjoy each other.
Hers: note/vowel exchange pre-ceremony, we chose to handwrite each other our vows which we shared prior to the ceremony which was very intimate and beautiful to read.
What is the best wedding advice you can give to engaged couples?
Don’t rush the engagement period. Take that 1-2 year time to really get to know each other on a deeper level. Take that time to discuss the awkward topics of finances, children, holidays, sex, spirituality/religion, mental & physical health history… all that. Also, fellow brides, don’t feel as though you have to do it all on your own. Delegate tasks to your maid of honor, bridesmaids, groomsmen, and your mother and future mother-in-law. You want everything to be perfect but trust me, the day of will be a circus, just take the time to really sit back and enjoy your special moment. Grooms advice: eat at the wedding!
- wedding dress designer: Maggie Sottero
- wedding dress salon: Zoyas Atelier
- bridesmaids dresses: Lover Bridal
- hair/makeup: bridal MUA: Taylor Chanel
- Bridal hair: Dennis @texturedefined
- Bridesmaids MUA: Jasmine White
- Bridesmaids hair: Courtney Rhodes @supremecream_
- Shoes: Kate Whitcomb @katewhitcombshoes
- Ceremony & Reception location: Dover Hall Estate @doverhallestate
- Photography: Tolman Media @tolman.media – Geneva Washington @imgaesbygeneva – Trevor Pierre @trevorpierrestudios
- Videography: Tolman Media @tm.dmv
- Wedding planner: Sandra Sutton of JES Event Management Group
- Cake: Sweet Fix @sweetfix – Matthew Ritchie @xiloveninjasx
- Stationery: Minted @minted
- Groom’s attire & groomsmen attire: Studio Suits
- Shoes: Paul Evans
- Welcome sign: @loveinalookingglass
- Signs: @weddingluxco
- Photobooth: @richmondphotobooth
- Bridal earrings: @poetrydesignsjewellery
- Bridesmaids robes: @poppylovepetal
- Engagement/wedding rings: Blue Nile
- DJ: Justin Everson of Black Tie Entertainment