We know weddings are celebrations of love, but Shayla Pedersen-Guy and Lawrence Guy knew they wanted to use their special day to increase social awareness and make a difference, and it all started with their color scheme. Bride Shayla loves the color pink, but not for the reason you might think. She shares, “Everyone believed that I chose pink because I am a girly girl at heart, but I chose pink as my private salute to all of those battling breast cancer.” In addition, as one of their wedding favors the Guys gifted their guests with a bottle of Nika Water. Shayla notes that, “Nika Water donates 100% of profits to poverty alleviation through clean water, education and sanitation projects around the world.” During their reception Shayla and Lawrence thanked their guests for supporting their marriage, but also encouraged them to continue to support these worthy causes. Shayla adds, “A lot of weddings are all about the pomp and circumstance…we wanted to make a difference.” This caring couple celebrated their love by giving love to others, and MediaLifted Photography was there to capture every heart-warming moment.
- Wedding Date: 11/10/2013
- Wedding Location: Lake Mary Events Center, Lake Mary, Florida
- Wedding Theme: Modernity and Elegance
- Color Scheme: Shades of Pink and White
- Wedding Flowers: Peonies, Garden roses, roses in all shades of pink and ivory
- First Dance Song: “I See the Light” From the Disney Motion Picture Tangled
- Wedding Cake Flavors: Coconut flavor in ombre pink
- Bridesmaids Gifts: Sequin and sparkle gift box + photo first initial bejeweled key chains
- Groomsmen Gifts: Men’s leather devotional book
Lawrence and I are both wanted modernity and elegance. We chose the very trendy ombre for the wow factor and incorporated sparkle for elegance. My gown was Vera Wang. It was always my dream to have a Vera Wang gown ever since I discovered who she was. I wanted a gown that was timeless, but still trendy, sparkly but not a disco ball! The gown has a beautiful vertical ribbons of sparkle that cascade down to the very bottom of the gown and create a subtle statement. My favorite wedding accessory would have to have been my hair pins. It was very important for me to have a hair piece that would make a statement and not be the typical hair “comb”. The pins are actually these gorgeous floral pieces that are bendable to adjust to any style I desired and connected to a pin for easy insertion. Winning!
Incorporation of Culture
Both of our families come from island roots. During the reception, we made sure to play plenty of socca, dancehall, and meringue.
Most Memorable Moment
More than anything, Lawrence and I wanted our guests to know to get love, you must give love. Everyone believed that I chose pink because I am a girly girl at heart, but I chose pink as my private salute to all of those battling breast cancer. Also as one of our favors, Lawrence and I gifted our guests with a bottle of Nika Water. “Nika Water donates 100% of profits to poverty alleviation through clean water, education and sanitation projects around the world.” During the reception, we took time out to not only raise awareness of a wonderful company like Nika Water, but also encouraged and applauded our guests by informing them that by attending our wedding, they too helped in the fight for clean water for everyone! A lot of weddings are all about the pomp and circumstance…we wanted to make a difference.
Don’t try to impress. Try to EXPRESS! Let your guests know what makes you two as a couple special. The small details make all the difference. Show your guests why your love is so amazing and in turn they will be amazed as well.
- Wedding Dress Designer- Vera Wang
- Wedding dress Salon- David’s Bridal
- Bride’s Accessories- Solutions Bridal
- Bridesmaids Dresses- Solutions Bridal
- Bridesmaids Dresses Deisgner- Alfred Sung
- Hair/Makeup- Hair and Makeup by Jackie
- Shoes- Steve Madden
- Ceremony and Reception location- Lake Mary Events Center
- Photography and Videography-MediaLifted Weddings
- Wedding Planner-Diana Marie Events
- Florist- Rachel Kasie Designs LLC
- Cake- Party Flavors Custom Cakes
- Stationery DIY- Michael’s
- Centerpieces– A Chair Affair
- Chairs- Orlando Wedding and Party Rentals
- Catering – Puff’n Stuff Catering
- DJ Lighting and Entertainment – Soundwave