First Dance Leads to Lifelong Romance and a Beautiful Rustic Wedding.
Kiana and Terrance’s love story began at a local speakeasy. As a country song started to play, Terrance asked Kiana to dance with him and she said yes.
That first dance – filled with laughter, smiles, and butterflies – led to their first date at a vintage coffee shop. And so began a flourishing romance!
Terrance later admitted after their first date that he’d written in his journal: “I met the girl that I want to spend the rest of my life with.” When he eventually proposed and told Kiana what he’d known all along, she gladly made that dream a reality and said yes!
Who knew a first dance could lead to lifelong romance? (I better break out my dancing shoes!).
Read more about their beautiful rustic vineyard wedding, special moments with family, dress details, and surprises below!
- Bride & Groom: Kiana & Terrance McGill
- Occupations: Bride – Registered Nurse; Groom – Family Medicine Physician.
- Wedding Date: June 2, 2018
- Wedding Location: The Edward’s Estate (Bakersfield, CA)
- Gifts for the bridesmaids and groomsmen… “Bridesmaids received matching robes that we wore while getting ready for the wedding. The groomsmen received flasks.”
- Gifts for one another… “We wrote each other letters.”
- Ceremony entrance song: “A thousand years” by Christina Perry
- First dance song: “Thinking out loud” by Ed Sheeran
How they met…
“We met at a local speakeasy called 1933. Terrance asked me to dance with him to a country song and I had no idea what I was doing but after the dance he asked me if I liked coffee and would I be open to getting coffee with him! I was so flattered and so our first date was at a vintage coffee shop.”
One early Christmas morning, Terrance took Kiana to the Riverwalk Park, where they would go for picnics, walks, and deep discussions. Kiana recalls “We walked to “our tree” where we would spend hours talking and looking at the river.”
Then, sitting under their tree, Terrance finally shared what he’d written in his journal after their first date: “I met the girl that I want to spend the rest of my life with.”
Terrance then asked Kiana to marry him and make that dream a reality — of course, she said yes!
Kiana and Terrance wanted their wedding to be classy, rustic, and family focused.
Their rustic theme was in every last detail — including Kiana’s wedding dress! She was surprised when she found the dress of her dreams on her first day shopping. The salesperson recommended it, and although it didn’t catch her eye initially, Kiana “fell in love with the dress after trying it on.” Her mom and sisters were there and confirmed it was the perfect dress!
With it’s vintage style, lace, and cream color, her dress perfectly suited their rustic vibe! Terrance’s attire further complimented her dress with a beige colored suit, gold tie, and white shirt with floral accessories.
Their venue (The Edward’s Estate in Bakersfield, California) set the scene for their rustic wedding. With vineyards and rolling fields surrounding them, it was a picturesque backdrop for celebrating their love!
Culture & Family…
Before walking down-the-isle, Kiana shared a special first look with her dad as well as her bridesmaids that left everyone teary-eyed. Towards the end of the night, Terrance and Kiana’s family performed a surprise dance to John Legend’s “A Good Night.” Kiana had no idea they’d be dancing for her — it was a great surprise! The back of their cake was also decorated with a stethoscope to represent their shared medical professions.
Bride’s favorite memory…
“Sharing our vows because it was an emotional experience that allowed us to share our testimony about how God has led us to each other. It allowed me to share my moments of heartbreak and nights spent praying for a husband.”
Advice for other engaged couples…
“Get a solid wedding planner and don’t let the small details lead to stress. There will be hiccups and unexpected events but in the end all that matters is walking down the aisle and saying “I do”.”
- Photographer: The Photegé @thephotege
- Venue: The Edwards Estate @theedwardsestate
- Wedding Planner: Fairy Godmother @fairygodmotherinc
- Video: Viken Productions @vikenproductions
- Stationery: Matinae Design Studio @matinaedesignstudio
- (Bride) Hair: Alexis Renee @alexisreneesalon
- HMUA: Denise Mutt @denise.muaa & Brittney Agosto @brittneyagosto
- Florist/Rentals: Make it Happen Events @make_it_happen_events
- Rentals: Walker-Lewis Rents @wlrents
- Catering: NV Catering @nv_catering
- Baker: Ghiladolci Bakery @ghiladolcibakery
- DJ: Donald Glen @d_g.ent
- Donuts: Baby Cake Donuts @babycakedonuts
- Officiant: Tom Touchstone
- Bridal Salon: Enchanted Bridal Boutique @enchantedbridalboutique