Shelah Marie and Antoine- Ace Hood’s fabulous Miami wedding, featured in our Spring/Summer 2020 Magazine, was one for the books!
Who says women can’t make the first move. Shelah and Antoine followed each other’s Instagram accounts for a while, exchanging a few comments but nothing more. Then one day, Shelah decided to “slide” into Antoine’s direct messages on a dare from her best friend. She didn’t expect a reply, but Antonie replied almost immediately. When he traveled to NYC, they decided to meet up. Shelah recalls, “The first time I saw him I fell in love with his big smile and his kind eyes. He says, to this day, that he loved me before he met me!”
When Antoine proposed at the Komodo Restaurant in Miami, Shelah was caught off guard. She was too busy dancing to Beyonce. She reminisces, “Antoine asked me if I wanted to go up to the top deck of the restaurant for a nicer view. As we walked up the stairs, I heard Beyonce’s song ‘Formation’ playing. I was so caught up dancing that when he got down on one knee — I missed him completely the first time. But, he surprised me with a room full of our friends and family. It was one of the most beautiful days of my life because of all the love and support in the room.”
This stylish couple wanted their wedding to be bold, sexy and fun. They took full advantage of Miami’s beautiful weather and gorgeous ocean views by having a lavish outdoor ceremony. Shelah stunned in a form fitting custom gown by Pantora Bridal. She exclaims, “The most important element in my dress was that I could dance in it,” and dance she did. For their extravagant indoor reception, Shelah changed into a sequined ensemble and performed a special choreographed dance for Antoine, backup dancers and all. The McColister’s wedding perfectly mixed amazing decor, hip fashion, sentimental vows and non traditional moments. It was a true reflection of their outgoing personalities and passionate love.
- Full Name of Couple: Antoine & Shelah McColister
- Location of Wedding: The Mondrian South Beach- Miami, FL
- Wedding Date: February 7, 2020
- Favorite item on the menu: Cake!
- Bridesmaids/Groomsmen gifts: I made my bridesmaid care boxes that had some body oils, soaps and a handwritten thank you letter.
- First dance song: “I Love You” by Lenny Williams
- Advice for brides: Decide three things that are absolutely important to you. Do not budge from them, be flexible with absolutely everything else.
We had a reverse unplugged ceremony, which was Reverend Roxy’s idea. We asked our guests to refrain from recording and taking pics during the ceremony, but we gave them a designated moment where Ace and I posed so everyone could get that picture or that video to post — and then put the phones away to be fully present.
Most Memorable Moments
Exchanging vows. Hearing our vows out loud for the first time, when I had rehearsed them in my head so many times was surreal. And Ace wrote a poem that completely touched my heart. In that very moment our lives changed, we had committed both publicly and privately to ourselves and each other on a deeper level in front of the people we love the most.
Wedding Advice for Engaged Couples
I know you hear this a lot — but DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. It’s overwhelming how fast and how intense the pressure can take over the wedding planning process. It can be easy to start making decisions that aren’t in your best interest and before you know it, it’s not really your wedding. I would say at the start of the planning process, make a clear list of non-negotiables (maybe 5 for each of you) and always refer back to that list when you are making big decisions.
- Photography: Reem Photography
- Wedding Planner: RW Events
- Bride’s Dress: Pantora Bridal
- Hair Salon: Bella Marie
- MUA: Shelby Rose
- Bride’s Headpiece/Veil: Pantora Bridal
- Cakes/Desserts: Eddas Cake Designs
- Catering: Mondrian South Beach
- Ceremony & Reception Venue: Mondrian South Beach
- Event Decor/Design: RW Events
- Entertainment: TRAP Karaoke
- Florals: Beautiful Kreations
- Hair: Simone Hylton
- Custom Signage: AM+Co
- Videography: Bricks Group Media
- Bride Choreography + Performance: Tiffany Monique