Dave has always been able to leave Tamika speechless even when they were in college. Their first encounter was during a Books for Africa Interest meeting, she was amazed at his oratory skills and knowledge of the issues. When the meeting was over, she asked if he would be interested in helping her writer a paper she was doing on Africa he said yes, but never got around to it. After acing the test without his assistance, she made sure to rub it in his face, which led to their friend and ended in their marriage. The day he proposed he took her out to dinner at a fondue restaurant in Chicago, when she went to cover her strawberry with chocolate the bowl was empty except for a small red box. As she looked up, he had taken a knee and proposed, they made it official in an elegant and beautiful winter wedding in Chicago. Their planner, Desiree Dent of Dejanae Events, helped put together the sophisticated and elegant look the couple was looking for and Rush Photography was able to capture moments that will last a lifetime.
- Wedding Date: 12/15/2013
- Wedding Location: The Crystal Ballroom at the Knickerbocker Hotel, Chicago Illinois
- Wedding Theme: Our wedding theme was a true reflection of our personalities, Classic, Elegance and sophistication without being too rigid. The result was timeless style, a beautiful and hospitable environment for our guests, and priceless memories.
- Wedding Flowers: Hydrangeas, roses, and orchids
- First Dance Song: “Summer Rain” by Carl Thomas
- Wedding Cake Flavors: Two layers of almond and raspberry and two layers chocolate and raspberry.
- Wedding Menu Favorite: The open bar during cocktail hour and the reception. This was a bit hit with our guests.
- Bridesmaids Gifts: Personalized Robes, Professional hair and make–up
My wedding dress was a classic ball gown by Eve of Milady. The dress was made by hand of mostly silk and lace. I found the scalloping of the skirt and the embellishments throughout the gown unique and quite remarkable. It was the first dress that I tried on, and though I did try on others afterward, no other dressed compared to it. I absolutely loved my wedding jewelry and am dying to wear my headpiece again, but I have to say that my favorite accessory were my shoes because they were chosen by my husband and they were perfect.
Incorporation of Culture
My Husband is from Zimbabwe, I am from Charleston SC, and we live and got married in Chicago (we love this city!). All of these factors are important to us and we wanted to incorporate them all in our wedding. The broom that we jumped is actually a “mutsvairo” that Dave’s mom brought from Zimbabwe and decorated by my mother. Our ring bearer carried the rings in a handmade wooden bowl from Zimbabwe and we had readings in both English and Shona. We offered favors of our favorite cocktails produced in South Carolina and got married on the Magnificent Mile in Chicago.
Most Memorable Moment
My wedding day was the best day of my life. So many amazing memories were created that day, but my favorite has to be our first dance. It was unrehearsed and just me and my Boo on the dance floor having fun. Him cutting loose in his stylish tux and me showing off in my (big) beautiful gown. It set the tone for the entire reception.
Have fun with your wedding. Enjoy every single stage of wedding planning and do things your way. Invest in a planner or day of coordinator. My planner, Desiree Dent was amazing and my day would not have been what it was without her.
- Wedding Dress: Eve of Milady, Eva’s Bridal of Chicago
- Hair: Dominica Martin of HairGoddess
- Makeup: Crystal Eyez
- Nails: Demi Moore of Naturally Chic Nails
- Shoes: Mischka Badgley
- Ceremony Location: The Crystal Ballroom at the Knickerbocker Hotel, Chicago Illinois
- Photographer: Rush Photography
- Wedding Planner: Desiree Dent of Dejanae Events
- Florist: Juliet Tan
- Cake: Alliance Bakery
- Stationary: Evanston Print and Paper
Ceremony Harpist – Janelle Lake
Cocktail Hour Jazz Trio – David Agee
Vocalist – Francis Perfecto
Reception Disc Jockey – JAM Music
Transportation – My Luxury Limo Inc.