Temi and Addie met as teenagers in 2007. They exchanged numbers, but nothing came of it. However, when they met again in 2011 at a friend’s 21st birthday party, there was an instant connection. After dating for several years, Addie proposed to Temi during a vacation on the island of Mauritius. Temi recalls, “one night we had a romantic dinner on the beach. During our first course, Addie started talking about us and our future. The next thing I know, he was on one knee, and I was screaming and crying. When I finally said yes, the waiter was the first person I told we were engaged!”
Their bright and romantic outdoor summer wedding was a dream. The California sun glistened beautifully against their desert landscape. Temi shares, “The lighting was such a huge part of the day, which is why we chose an evening outdoor wedding.” ‘
A number of guests flew in from Nigeria, and Temi and Addie made sure to honor their Nigerian roots. Temi recalls, “During our ceremony, we had a singer infuse praise and worship into her performance, which is a big part of church for us Nigerians. Afterward, the saxophonist serenaded guests with some Nigerian songs, especially “Repete” by Black Magic, which was Addie’s special request. At the end of the night, there was jollof rice and other Nigerian food served at the after-party.”
The wedding’s scenic beauty, stunning decor and delicious cuisine wowed guests, but the carnival after party was a memorable and unexpected surprise! Guests actually got to tap into their inner child and ride a carousel and ferris wheel. It was a uniquely perfect ending to an astoundingly beautiful wedding.
- Full Name of Couple: Temidayo Abudu & Adebola Makanjuola
- Location of Wedding: Hummingbirds Nest Ranch. Simi Valley. California
- Wedding Date: 30th June 2019
- Favorite Item on the Menu: The braised beef short rib was delicious! Bridesmaids/Groomsmen gifts: Ohh, custom gold sneakers!
- First Dance song: “Loving You” by Paolo Nutini
- Advice for brides: Do the planning early so you don’t stress out close to the day or on the day! Get an early night the day before; relax and have breakfast in the morning. You’re going to need all the energy you can get! Oh, and get yourself a planner/coordinator like Anne Wilner, she’s the best!
80% of the guests flew from Nigeria so we really wanted to create a magical experience for us and our guests. Music was so important and choosing the live band during the reception was a great choice that everyone enjoyed. The carnival at the end was the cherry on top of it all. Everyone had a blast and danced till the very end! we had a blast and that was so important to us!
Temi: The best memory was getting on the Ferris wheel with my husband and seeing all the gorgeous people that came out to celebrate with us.
Addie: Our first Dance.
Advice for Engaged Couples
Enjoy being engaged! And once the wedding planning starts remember to communicate, talk through things with each other even though it doesn’t always feel needed. Also find a planner that understands you and your needs, and vet all your vendors. Once you’ve got a great team of people, it makes things go so smoothly.
- Photography: Brian Leahy Photography
- Event planner: Anne Wilner Events
- Florals: Lilla Bello
- Bride’s Dress: Ysa Makino
- Bridal Salon: Kleinfelds
- Bride’s Headpiece/Veil: Kleinfelds
- Bride’s Shoes: Badgley Mischka
- Bridesmaids Dresses: Fablane by Derin
- Groom’s Attire: Suit Supply
- Groomsmen Attire: Ryan Seacrest Distinction & Suit Supply
- Cake: The Butter End
- Catering: Tres LA
- Bar: WLDE
- Ceremony Venue: Hummingbird Nest Ranch
- Event Decor/Design: Lilla Bello & Anne Wilner Events
- Entertainment: Band On the Beat & DJ Tomi Tribe
- Hair: Marjorie Lightford
- Lighting: Pacific Event Services
- Linens: BBJ Linens
- MUA: Bimpe Onakoya
- Reception venue: Hummingbird Nest Ranch
- Rentals: Theoni Collection (China), Bright Event Rentals (Glassware), Town & Country (Furniture), ARC (Tenting)
- Carnival Rentals: Zebra Entertainment
- Stationery: Katrina Calligraphy and Color & Creation
- Videography: Don Baptiste