What common interest attracted you to your significant other? Well, for Brandi Collins and Brian Thomas it was a love for Biology. This beautiful couple met through a mutual friend while they worked at the United States Army Corps of Engineers in New Orleans. They connected over their common love of science, but they soon realized that they had a deeper chemistry. While they were dating, it was very common for them to have conversations about getting married. So when Brian asked Brandi to marry him during President Obama’s second Presidential debate, she thought he was once again talking in hypotheticals. Until he presented her with a beautiful ring, and she knew that it was an official proposal!
Brandi and Brian wanted their wedding to “exude classic elegance with a dramatic edge.” Brandi was captivating as she entered their church ceremony wearing a satin ball gown that featured a sweetheart neckline, flattering ruching along the waist and a gorgeous bodice covered in Swarovski crystals. Since Brandi and Brian are lovers of science, it was fitting that they had their reception at the Fernbank Museum of Natural History in Atlanta, GA. Guests were wowed by the soaring museum ceilings, and the earthy reception décor, which included amazing centerpieces of roses and crystals hanging for tree branches. The couple made sur to incorporate their New Orleans culture into their wedding. Their fleur de lis ice sculpture and traditional New Orleans jazz band were a hit with guests. Sophia Barrett Studios beautifully captured the love and excitement Brandi and Brian shared with their friends and family.
- Wedding Date: 10/12/2013
- Wedding Location: The Fernbank Museum of Natural History, Atlanta, Georgia
- Wedding Theme: Modern, Traditional Elegance
- Wedding Flowers: Quicksand roses, candy bianca roses, antique pink hydrangea
- First Dance Song: Chrisette Michele – “Golden”
- Wedding Cake Flavors: Lemon, strawberry marble, almond.
- Wedding Menu Favorite: Short ribs and banana pudding shots
- Bridesmaids Gifts: Jewelry
- Groomsmen Gifts: Cologne
How They Met
We met through a mutual friend while working at the United States Army Corps of Engineers’ New Orleans Branch. She knew the both of us and thought that our common interest in Biology would be a starting point- I will always be grateful to her for introducing me to my soul mate.
We were spending a quiet evening at home, when Brian asked me to marry him. We were preparing to watch the second Presidential debate and Brian asked if I would be his wife. Because we had been talking about marriage, I thought this was just another hypothetical conversation- I was wrong!
I wore an Allure ball gown in rich satin. The strapless bodice featured a sweetheart neckline and flattering ruching while Swarovski crystals encrusted the entire bodice. My favorite accessory was my shoes. I wore Benjamin Adams of London shoes with a fully encrusted v shape heel and silk platform peep toe. I also loved my ‘something blue’ given to me by a dear friend. It was a Louisiana memento- blue dog pin with a fleur de lis in the center.
Incorporation of Culture
Brian and I wanted our wedding to exude classic elegance with a dramatic edge. We looked to incorporate our New Orleans traditions in a way that fit with that vision, such as our fleur de lis ice sculpture and traditional New Orleans jazz band.
Most Memorable Moment
Brian – We were debating until the very end about doing a first look before the wedding. The anticipation before the big reveal was awesome. Brandi- the entrance of the jazz band at the beginning of the reception. Our guest were very surprised!
Manage your budget and communicate with each other through the entire process.
- Planner- Gail Johnson Wedding and Events
- Photographer – Sophia Barrett Studios
- Florists – The Savage Garden
- Caterer – Affairs to Remember
- Cake – Classic Cheesecake and Cakes
- Invitations – Print and Promise Weddings
- Calligraphy – Calligraphy Expressions
- DJ – DJ Tron
- Make-up – Love over Logic
- Lighting – Active Production
- Ice Chiavari Chairs – Peachtree Tents
- Bridal gown/bridesmaid – Bride Beautiful
- Brass Band – Sabor!
- Videographer – Vaylens Productions
- Dessert Bar- Twisted Pastry
- Ice Sculptures Unlimited