Michelle and Luke forged a friendship in college that turned into a lasting love. After they graduated from Duke University in Durham, NC, their careers took them to California. However, they still wanted to get married in South. Michelle states, “We had a vision to bring our closest family and friends away to the mountains to celebrate together the joining of our two beautiful families. Family and joy were the anchors for our day.” Luckily, the couple had a great wedding planner, Amanda Holland, who helped them plan a gorgeous long distance wedding at the breathtaking Lioncrest Biltmore in Asheville, NC.
Guests were wowed when they saw Michelle float down the aisle in her romantic and elegant lace gown. While the ceremony was intimate and spiritual the couple admits that the most memorable moment of the ceremony happened when their officant pronounced them as husband and wife and they got to share their first kiss EVER! The celebration of their love continued during their enchanting reception, which had a Vintage Chic theme. Blush and cream flowers delicately cascaded off of their white table linens creating a romantic garden atmosphere in their reception space. Incorporating their culture, was just as important as creating a charming visual ambiance. Michelle shares, “Luke’s family is from Jamaica and my family is from Nigeria – both cultures love family, food, music and dance and we tried to bring all of those into our day.” Family was truly the center of their wedding, and the couple’s hearts were touched when they looked out during their reception and saw friends and family from around the world there to support their union. Michelle and Luke’s joy, adoration and dedication to each other are evident in every picture taken by Scobey Photography.
- Wedding Date: 03/24/2013
- Wedding Location: The Biltmore- Asheville, NC
- Wedding theme: Vintage Chic
- Color Scheme: Ivory & Gold
- Wedding Flowers: Assortment blooms, including roses and peonies, and accented with jeweled stephanotis and additional vintage style glistening gem/broach accents.
- First Dance: So In Love – The Icarus Account
- Wedding Cake Flavors: One layer coconut cake with white chocolate ganache and buttercream icing and red-velvet with white chocolate ganache and buttercream
- Wedding Menu Favorite: Spiced Chicken Breast, Warm Chorizo and Corn Vinaigrette
- Bridesmaids Gifts: Tom Shoes
- Groomsman Gifts: Engraved money clips
Description of Event
Luke and I were married in Asheville, NC. This was quite a distance from where we lived – California! We had a vision to bring our closest family and friends away to the mountains to celebrate together the joining of our two beautiful families. Family and joy were the anchors for our day. I had a wonderful wedding planner that helped make the distance in planning a cross-country wedding feel so much smaller than it was.
Without knowing it, I was captured by the timelessly elegant wedding dresses. I narrowed my dress shopping to just three stores and was determined to find my dress in those stores no matter what. My mother and sister flew across the country to help me find the perfect dress. The dress I selected as a Justin Alexander (8558) romantic and elegant lace dress from Paris Connection in San Francisco. It was the very last dress that I tried on! My mother and sister helped me to select it and as soon as I put it on, I knew it was the one!
Incorporation of Culture
Luke’s family is from Jamaica and my family from Nigeria – both cultures love family, food, music and dance and we tried to bring all of those into our day. Though we were in Asheville, we were able to cater the Rehearsal dinner with delicious flavors similar to Jamaican cuisine. On Saturday evening we also had a pre-wedding reception where we brought in aspects of the Nigerian engagement ceremony. We used this time as an introduction of the two families to each other and danced as late as we could (the wedding was the next day!).
Most Memorable Moment
The most memorable part of the day for us was seeing all the people in our lives in one place at one time! We had family and friends fly in from all over the U.S., Canada, UK, and Jamaica. We had childhood friends and friends from lives in California. There were so many people that made this day so special for us that we will never forget how loved we felt and how much we are supported.
Also our first kiss EVER was also quite memorable!
Loving You Is Easy
From the Groom…He always comments on my smile and how I bring joy where ever I go.
From the Bride…Luke is one of the most selfless person I know. He loves to serve others and help them as much as he can. He is incredibly smart and very funny. I guess this is more than one thing but I can’t just pick :)!
- Event Coordinator: Amanda Holland, Wedding Inspirations
- Ceremony & Reception Location: Lioncrest, Biltmore
- Bride’s hair: Amanda, The Secret Spa
- Bride’s makeup: Blush by Wendy Balance
- Dress Designer: Justin Alexander
- Bridal Salon: Paris Connection
- Bride’s shoes: Badgley Mischka
- Groom’s suit: Men’s Wearhouse
- Floral Design: Flower Gallery
- Cake: Biltmore
- DJ: DJ Jakub Holy with Bright Light Entertainment
- Videographer: Chris + Toni Wheaton, Heart Stone Films
- Photographer: Scobey Photography
- http://vimeo.com/67685833 (wedding film)
- http://vimeo.com/66185233 (trailer)
- http://vimeo.com/62823076 (Luke’ surprise dance to me)