Aisha and Torrence brought tons of vintage glamour to their Old Hollywood inspired wedding in Michigan.
COVID caused them to shift their wedding plans, but they were still able to invite 50 of their closest family and friends. Aisha looked like a movie siren in her form-fitting wedding gown and gorgeous finger wave updo. Their decor in lush shades of green and red enhanced the vintage feel of their nuptials.
Read more about their love story and see all of their stunning photos below.
- What gifts did you give to your bridesmaids and groomsmen:
- Best Man: personalized grooming kits, personalized flask and socks.
- Groomsmen: personalized grooming kits, personalized flask and socks.
- Maid of Honors and Bridesmaid: personalized robes, personalized makeup bags, personalized totes, jewelry accessories for the wedding, personalized gold bracelets and makeup application for the day of the wedding.
- Gifts for one another:
- Groom: Christian Louboutin shoes, Percival Parfums De Marly Cologne and custom cufflinks
- Bride: Shinola Watch and an extra night at the hotel to relax before the wedding.
- Ceremony entrance song: Groom: “This is Why I Love You” by Major and Bride: “Fall for You” by Leela James
- First dance song: “First Began” by PJ Morton
How did you meet?
Torrence and I met at an educational conference in Taylor, MI. We were both school leaders participating in a series of training on teacher development. We were in the same cohort. We had an opportunity to meet during our lunch session and group pairing.
Tell us about the proposal.
Torrence and I went out with friends to celebrate my best friend’s birthday. It was the day before Thanksgiving in 2019. The night was filled with dancing and laughing. We had a great time and decided to call it quits at about 12:00 that night. We were exhausted and decided to get ready for bed. I noticed Torrence standing on the other side of the room. He looked extremely nervous. I asked him if he was ok and he said yes. He then asked me what I was thankful for. It was now Thanksgiving day, but I thought the question was strange. I told him I was thankful for him in my life and the time we spent with each other. I then asked him what he was thankful for. He said he was thankful for me coming into his life and us being together. He said that he loved and appreciated me. In that instance, he then glided across the room on one knee and opened a box with a beautiful ring. I was in total shock. It felt like an out of body experience. I didn’t immediately register that he was asking me to marry him. I remember thinking to myself that would be a beautiful ring. I snapped out of it and I heard him ask me ‘Will you marry me?’ I replied with a resounding yes. I cried tears of joy. I couldn’t believe the man of my dreams just asked me to marry him. I was extremely happy and this will be a memory I will never forget.
Describe your wedding style.
Our wedding attire was vintage glam. I wanted a vintage classic look. My dress was an ivory strapless accented by a romantic sweetheart neckline. This dress featured sculptured, embroidered appliquès with crystal beading and cascading organza.
His suit was an ivory dinner jacket with black lapels for a classic look. His pants were a black slim fit.
We both wanted to support small businesses in the city of Detroit. I chose a dress from The Pink Poodle Dress Company. They were able to work with us virtually to start the dress shopping process. Torrence and the groomsmen selected Hot Sams of Detroit. They are known for the classic men’s apparel.
Did you incorporate any culture into your wedding?
We actually did a unity candle. That meant a lot to us because we were not only marrying one another, but we were blending our families. It symbolized us growing together as one family unit! We also wrote our own vows. Torrence presented the first document
What is your best memory from your wedding?
(Aisha) My best memory from the wedding was hitting the first landing before walking to the altar and seeing my husband full of emotion. I instantly started to cry because he looked at me as if I was the most beautiful thing he ever laid eyes on. The song I selected was “Fall for You” by Leela James. The lyrics spoke to me and it will forever be our special song. I am so happy I fell for him.
(Torrence) My best memory is seeing Aisha walk down the steps and enter in with her father. I know it meant a lot for Aisha. The reading of our vows were extremely special to me. It seemed like the moment finally arrived.
What is the best wedding advice you can give to engaged couples?
(Torrence) We planned a wedding during Covid-19. We initially had other plans and had to scale down significantly. It did not matter because what was important to us was the commitment we were making to each other. It is an indescribable moment. It is emotion-filled and goes by so quickly. Remember that this day is all about you and your bride. Don’t stress and enjoy the magical day.
(Aisha) The best wedding advice I can give is to go through marriage counseling. You learn so much about one another. I also suggest getting a wedding planner so you can live in the moment. A strong wedding planner will get everyone on the same page so you can enjoy the moment you have been waiting for.
- Photography: Nicole Ashley Allen
- Graphic Design & Stationery: LePenn Designs
- Floral and event design, bird cage chairs and backdrop, branded pillows: The Velvet Touch Events
- Linen: Luxe Event Linen
- Floor wrap: INKredible Dance Floors
- Videographer: MyTouchFilms
- Food: Exquisitely Catered @dejuanparkman
- Cake: Terri’s Cakes Detroit
- Drinks: Perfect10 Mobile Mixology
- Coordinator: Lorri Lewis
- Wedding Dress: Pink Poodle Dress Lounge
- Wedding Dress Designer: Morilee
- Bride & Groom’s Shoes: Christian Louboutin
- Groom and Groomsmen Tuxedos: Hot Sams Men’s Clothier
- Hair: Kristina @theglamtech
- Bride Makeup: Talya Ashford @bridalbeautybytalya
- Bridal party makeup: Kori Woods @colourbynumbr
- Bridal Party Dresses: https://www.asos.com/us/
- Transportation: Motor City Vintage Rentals
- Wedding favors: Ragg Doll Creations @raggdollcreations
- Virtual Photo Booth: Fancy Flash Photo Booth
- Bridal suite charcuterie: Detroit Cheese and Wine
- Jewelry: Rouge Couture Co.
- Men accessories: St. Maron Man @st.maron.man
- Violinist: Candice Smith @iamprettystringz
- Venue: The Inn at 97 Winder