In 2011, Keldrick and Lerai met as sophomores when they signed up to be student tour guides at their University’s Ambassadors training.
Instantly, they became friends and discovered a mutual love for K-12 educational access, PJ Morton, and Chick Fil A. After three months of building a friendship, Keldrick posed the question: “Will you be my girlfriend?” And, Lerai turned him down. Instead, they courted for seven months, then officially began dating.
During a tour to Europe, Keldrick proposed at their final destination, Paris. It was the city Lerai always dreamed of visiting as a child.
Their wedding was just as dreamy, filled with whimsical and romantic decor, heartwarming moments, and culture. Lerai says, “We were adamant about the representation of Black women in specific roles (officiant, wedding coordinator, photographers, etc.). Also, we value family, therefore, we requested a moment of silence for deceased family members. Lastly, spirituality, while we, both, were raised in different Christian denominations, we agreed that offering communion worked great and praying for each other in conjunction with our vows.”
Read more of Lerai and Keldrick charming love story, and see all of the details from their beautiful summer wedding below.
- Couple: Randi Lerai & Keldrick
- Location of Wedding: Southern Bleachery – Taylors, South Carolina
- Wedding Date: June 29, 2019
- Wedding flowers: Anna, of Urban Petals, designed an elegant bouquet with soft textures, complementary colors, and Lerai’s favorite – dried elements!
- Favorite item on the menu: Pecan-crusted Bourbon Chicken Breast
- Bridesmaids/groomsmen gifts: Bridesmaids: Calligraphy hangers, jewelry Groomsmen: Ties & socks
- First dance song: PJ Morton – How Deep is Your Love sung by Raemont Pinkney
- Advice for brides: Be gentle and compassionate with yourself and others – ground decisions in personal core values – regularly unplug to recharge
Tell us how you met and all about the proposal.
Lerai: In 2011, we met as sophomores during a University Ambassadors (student tour guides) training. Instantly. We became friends and discovered a mutual love for K-12 educational access, PJ Morton, and Chick Fil A. After 3 months of building a friendship, Keldrick posed the question: “Will you be my girlfriend?” And, I turned him down. Instead, we courted for 7 months, then officially began dating.
Lerai: I have always dreamt of Paris as trip (Lerai’s sweet 16 party was themed: An Evening in Paris)! Keldrick saved up enough flight/hotel points to bounce around Europe for two weeks: Germany, London, and Paris. On the final stop, in Paris, Keldrick planned a surprise dinner for me along the Seine River. Unfortunately, his plans were disrupted due to our 2-hr delayed flight and slow Uber driver. Keldrick persisted and proposed in our hotel room in Paris!
How did you know they were “the one”?
Lerai: I’m constantly discovering and uncovering this every day, but I had a profound revelation when I missed him while I was away for a conference (missing guys was a very foreign feeling for me.)
Keldrick: “When Lerai helped me cram for my U.S. History final exam at the last minute…I aced it!”
Did you incorporate any culture into your wedding?
We did! We were adamant about the representation of Black women in specific roles (officiant, wedding coordinator, photographers, etc.). Also, we value family, therefore, we requested a moment of silence for deceased family members. Lastly, spirituality, while we, both, were raised in different Christian denominations, we agreed that offering communion worked great and praying for each other in conjunction with our vows.
Describe your wedding style.
Sultry and minimally ethereal.
Keldrick wore a modern cut grey suit, white shirt, and brown accessories Lerai wore a floor-length plunging neckline semi-laced a-line wedding gown with blush-toned tulle overlay and floor-length veil; for the reception she wore a floor-length minimalist white off-the-shoulder crepe mermaid gown with a sheer rectangular panel in the back.
What is your best memory from your wedding?
Keldrick: I always heard guys say, “your wife walking down the aisle is…” but I vowed that I wouldn’t be that dude–but I have to say it’s true! The greatest memory and favorite picture of myself is seeing my bride walk down the aisle! Man- it was breathtaking!
Lerai: Keldrick has always been a talented writer. His vows were stunning thoughtful and gracefully written. I sometimes fast forward to his vows on our wedding video, that’s just how meaningful that moment was for me. People tend to say that brides and grooms write from their heart, but his were deeper. His expression of love was spiritual.
What is the best wedding advice you can give to engaged couples?
The best advice is to ignore the horribly negative comments and nods to the ills of marriage. It’s exactly what you make of it – beautiful!
- Bride’s dress: Bhldn by Anthropologie
- Bridal salon: Breyanna Bluford & Arnia Lee
- Bride’s headpiece and/or veil: Amazon
- Bride’s shoes: Bhldn/Zara
- Bridesmaids dresses: Bhldn by Anthropologie
- Cakes/desserts: Tessa Pinner
- Catering: Seasons Catering
- Ceremony Venue: Southern Bleachery
- Event decor/design & Florals: Urban Petals (Anna Stouffer)
- Entertainment/DJ: Good People Entertainment
- Event planners: Louvenia Willis, Christian Felton, Tomiah Durrah
- Groom’s and Groomsmen attire: Men’s Wearhouse
- Hair: Breyanna Bluford & Arnia Lee
- Linens: Professional Party Rentals
- Makeup: Edge and Priss Glam, Kristen White, Whitney Olivia
- Photography: Sierra Collins Photography with Jeanette Brewster
- Reception venue: Southern Bleachery
- Rentals: Professional Party Rentals
- Stationery: Minted
- Videography: Daniel Joines- Method Visuals