Tiffany and Onye’s whimsical tropical garden wedding has culture and tradition with modern flair!
Set in a tropical garden in Miami, their venue was filled with plants and wildlife (including flamingos, monkeys, horses, and peacocks!). Guests dined beneath twinkling lights and danced the night away in a spacious “farm” house. They also incorporated elements of Onye’s Nigerian and Tiffany’s southern and Bajan cultures into their wedding through the food, music, and outfits they wore.
Overall, it was an amazing day filled with love and joy that they’ll never forget!
For more of their love story and details from their whimsical tropical garden wedding, keep reading below!
- Couple: Tiffany Ramsay and Onye Ibeh
- Occupations: Tiffany: Researcher, Banking & Capital Markets; Onye: Infrastructure and Finance Lead
- Wedding date: February 7, 2020
- Wedding location: Miami, FL
- Photographed by: Natasha De Jesús and Rey Colón (Phosphilic)
- Bridesmaids and groomsmen gifts: Tiffany gave her maid of honor (sister) a bracelet, and Onye gave his best man (best friend) an engraved flask.
- Ceremony entrance song: “Apesh!t” by Bey and Jay
- First dance song: “All of Me” by John Legend
- Nigerian money dance intro song: “Able God” by Chiko Ekun
How they met…
Tiffany and Onye met at Cornell University in graduate school.
For the proposal, Onye had originally planned to pop the question on a weekend trip to New Orleans for Tiffany’s birthday surrounded by their closest friends. However, it rained the whole trip!
Although his original plans were ruined, Onye decided he couldn’t wait any longer. He spontaneously proposed to Tiffany in the airport on their way home to New York City! It was the perfect moment!
For her ceremony dress, Tiffany wore a gown with 3D floral lace and Onye styled a navy-blue tux with gold floral details on his shoes.
Working with a Nigerian vendor, their outfits for the reception were a modern take on traditional Nigerian Igbo wedding outfits. They sported fun and flashy fire reds with gold embellishments.
Overall, the couple’s shopping experience was “pretty fun for the both of [them].”
Tiffany recalls: “We did procrastinate on a few items though (like Onye’s shoes which were literally delivered the day of the wedding!), but it all came together nicely.”
“Every part of it?” Tiffany says, laughing. “We almost thought the day would be a disaster because the forecast said it would thunderstorm throughout our entire wedding.”
Luckily, “the rain cleared up two hours before [the] ceremony, and the rest of the day was magical.”
While they truly loved every moment, Tiffany and Onye agree that “the reception was probably the most fun part.”
To tie in Tiffany’s southern and Bajan roots and Onye’s Nigerian background, the couple incorporated their cultures into the food, music, and outfits they wore.
Tiffany recalls: “We loved working with our Nigeriena vendor to create our matching Igbo outfits for the reception.”
They also had a special second “first” dance to “Able God” by Chinko Ekun (a song about being “showered with blessings”), where they were showered with cash per the Nigerian tradition.
The second “first” dance…
Advice for other engaged couples…
“Enjoy the process and the day because both go by extremely fast. Focus on the big picture, and don’t sweat the small stuff! In the end, everything comes together.”
Looking for more whimsical tropical garden wedding inspiration?
- Venue: Historic Walton House @historicwaltonhouse
- Planner/florals: LC Creations & Crafts @lccreationsandcrafts
- Photographer: Phosphilic @phosphilic
- Videographer: IKON Films
- Wedding dress shop: A and Be
- Wedding dress designer: Made with Love
- Bride’s hair: Beautie Junkie
- Bride’s shoes: Loeffler Randall
- Bride’s earrings: Untamed Petals
- Groom’s tux & best man tux: The Black Tux
- Groom’s shoes: Jimmy Choo
- Maid of honor dress: BHLDN
- Tailor: Lady Blue Tailors
- Catering: Dade County Food Group
- Nigerian outfits: Luciano World @shoplucianoworld
- Furniture rentals: Mi Vintage
- Officiant: Stephanie Martinez @stephaniemartinezweddings
- Rings: Bride – Jangmi; Groom – David Yurman
- Neon Sign: Go Neon Miami @goneonmiami
- Makeup: MU Beauty by Star @mu_beautybystar
- DJ: DJ Th3rd Degree @iamdrcarter