Laurie Underwood’s all-white backyard wedding proves that with creativity & proper planning you can have your dream wedding- even in your own backyard!
When the pandemic halted Laurie and Damon’s original plans to have an intimate wedding in Florida, they had to regroup. They knew they would have to have the wedding closer to home, but could they pull off having a wedding in their backyard in Chicago? After investing in some backyard renovations, the answer was absolutely yes!
Laurie shares, “Damon created a beautiful waterfall as our ceremony backdrop along with a deck for elevation. He also created a pergola lounge space to add to the vibe we wanted to present during the reception. I myself designed the décor and branding and we basically worked together as one to create the wedding we both wanted.” Laurie’s sister acted as the coordinator, and the wedding went off without a hitch.
Guests came wearing their best all-white attire and enjoyed a family-style vegan soul food dinner. Laurie, who is a bridal gown designer, wore two looks- a high fashion black ball gown, and a fun and flirty white dress. Not to be outdone, Damon also made a statement in his floral print jacket. The night ended with dancing and fireworks!
- Couple: Laurie Underwood & Damon Russell
- Occupations: Laurie is a Bridal Designer and owner of Laury Bride; Damon is the Wine Owner of Herbal Vines (89 Halsted).
- Wedding date: August 14, 2021
- Wedding location: Couple’s South Chicago Home
Damon surprised Laurie with a birthday trip to Rhode Island, where he proposed on a Venetian gondola along the Providence River.
Theme & vision…
Looking back on their wedding day, it was everything they dreamed of! And it all came together with careful planning and attention to detail.
Being extra intentional with every detail, Laurie recalls, “Our wedding was an all-white attire wedding.” During the planning stages, she told her now hubby Damon, “When people come into our yard, I want them to be wowed.”
“I didn’t want it to feel like just another family holiday picnic,” she adds. “So we were very strategic and intentional when it came to set up, décor, and how everything was to be laid out.”
Mr. & Mrs…
A family affair…
Laurie explains, “Our wedding featured personalized seating, a family-style vegan soul food dinner (we were a house full of 75 black vegans for the day), fireworks and sparklers, and just an enjoyable time spent with family and close friends, where they were given the opportunity to step out in their finest all-white summer style.”
Cutting the cake…
Favorite thing to do as a couple…
Laurie shares, “We enjoy spending quality time with our children and working together on our goals and aspirations in support of each other.”
Looking for more inspiration like this all-white backyard wedding?
- Dress: Laury Bride @LauryBride
- Groom’s Jacket: Custom-made by Laury Bride
- Photographer: Emily Melissa Photo @em.tog
- Cake: Alexandria Gooden @cakes_by_dria
- Makeup: Siobhan Wright Beauty @siobhanwrightbeauty
- Hair: Brandie Demeritte @bdemerittebeauty
- Wedding Design and Decor: Bride
- Wedding Home Backyard Renovations: Groom
- Day of Coordinators: Victoria Beaty (Friend) and Trudy Underwood (sister)
- Catering: Majani Soulfood Vegan Cuisine @majanivegancuisine & Vegan Sugga Donuts @vegan_sugga