It was a beautiful weekend in March 2010 when Marcus and Lindsay Jones agreed to meet at Trader Joes. The two had met online and after a few phone conversations, they decided to see each other in person. A couple dates later, they knew they wanted to make their relationship official.
Two years later, the two got engaged. After dinner with friends, Marcus took Lindsay home and she immediately went to bed because she wasn’t feeling well. Marcus said he needed to return back to his apartment for something that he had forgotten. When he got back, he asked Lindsay to come into the bathroom to help him with looking for something he thought he lost. When she walked in the words “Will you marry me?” were written in lipstick on the mirror and one of Lindsay’s favorite songs, “Marry Me” by Train was playing in the background. In the life-changing surprise, Marcus got on his knee and asked,” Will you let me be your knight in shining armor for the rest of your life?” and of course Lindsay said “Yes!”
The DC couple celebrated their union in a sophisticated garden ceremony last summer at the Meridien House with close family and friends. Get a look at their elegant wedding planned by Howerton+Wooten Events and photographed by Michael Clark Photography, and learn how they made their special day come to life.
- Location: Meridian House, Washington, DC
- Bridesmaids Gifts: Earrings to complement their dresses and a candle in one of the bride’s favorite scents.
- Groomsmen Gifts: Ties worn with their suits.
- Wedding Flowers: A cascading bouquet in shades of purple featuring dendrobium orchids, lisianthus, miniature calla lilies, and raspberry phalaenops.
- Wedding Cake Flavor:Four-tiered round cake with two yellow cake tiers, and a red velvet and chocolate cake tier.
- Favorite Item on Wedding Menu: Southern inspired food station which contained shrimp and grits, fried green tomatoes, and cornbread
- First Dance Song: “A Couple of Forevers” by Chrisette Michelle
Wedding Theme: Our wedding theme inspiration was sophisticated elegance, incorporating a little bit of sparkle and drama, as well as small personalized details that represented the two of us a couple. We chose our venue, Meridian House, with the intent of being able to have a garden wedding ceremony as well as to enable guests to mingle with one another after the ceremony in the garden.
Wedding Style:My wedding dress was a silk shantung mermaid gown with a modified sweetheart neckline with custom crystal embellishments and a detachable tulle skirt. The detachable tulle skirt was designed for a 2-in-1 look that created a flirty, festive dress for me to wear at the reception. The look was completed with an elbow length glimmer tulle veil. My favorite wedding accessory was the Christian Louboutin glitter pumps that I wore.
Culture: We incorporated culture and tradition into our wedding through our choice of food, wedding décor utilizing family photographs, music, and ceremony readings, that each represented small parts of our newly blended
Memories: My favorite memory is that of my first dance with my husband. We took dance lessons prior to the wedding and in that moment it was like we were the only two people in the world.
Help a Bride-to-be Out: My best wedding advice to a newly engaged couple is to both enjoy the engagement period and avoid getting stressed by wedding planning. Hire a fantastic planner to help assist you during the wedding planning process.
Planned by Coterie Member Howerton+Wooten Events. See their profile here.
- Ceremony and Reception Venue: Meridian House, Washington, D.C
- Caterer: Main Event Caterers
- Photographer: Michael Clark Photography
- Videographer: Visually Inklined
- Florist: Yellow Door Floral Designs
- Wedding Cake: Fluffy Thoughts
- Wedding Planner: Howerton+Wooten Events
- DJ: DJ Parallax
- Hair: Marcella Ellis Hair Studios
- Makeup: Dawn Newsome Make-Up Artist
- Wedding Invitations: LePenn Designs
- Table Linen: Nuage Designs
- Wedding Gown:Purchased at the Soliloquy Bridal Couture in Herndon, VA
- Designer: Elizabeth St. John Couture
- Jewelry: Hazel Bracelet by Sara Gabriel Veiling and Headpieces, glimmer tulle veil by J. Picone of Veil Trends
- Groom’s Suit: Custom suit purchased at Suit Supply in Washington, D.C.
- Bridesmaid Dresses: Designed by Jasmine B2 and purchased at Ellie’s Bridal Boutique, Alexandria,