Melanie and Lorenzo met almost a decade ago in Washington, D.C., he had recently relocated there after graduating college and she was continuing her studies at Howard University. One day while leaving on his way to work he noticed his neighbor and attempted to start up a conversation by discussing his talents in the kitchen, which worked because they hit it off and began dating. The couple fell head over heels and in on New Year’s Eve three years ago he popped the question right as the New Year began. For their nuptials, they wanted to have a sexy and elegant day full of southern charm, which highlighted the couple’s journey together. With help from their wedding planner, Idyllic Fete and In the Moment Photography, they created a day the couple and their guests will never forget.
- Wedding Date: 05/25/2013
- Wedding Location: The Biltmore Ballrooms, Atlanta, Georgia
- Wedding Flowers: White Calla lilies, Cream Peony’s, Yellow and White Roses, Lush Hydrangea, Yellow Freesia, and Dendrobium Orchids
- First Dance Song: “Close my Eyes” Calvin Richardson
- Favorite Menu Item: Tender short rib of beef ‘ossobuco’ style in a red wine braise reduction is paired with New Orleans style jumbo lump crab cake finished with buttered popcorn puree and green onion jam
When we sat down to start planning our wedding day many thoughts sprang to mind about what we wanted and did not want, but what remained consistent was how we wanted the day to feel. We both really wanted to have an elegant and sexy affair that had classic elements, but was deeply personalized. We wanted our guests to feel like they knew us better by the end of the night. We incorporated little personal touches throughout the wedding. Starting with the day that occurred one week shy of the day we met in 2006. We chose our favorite colors Ocean Blue (Melanie) and Gray (Lorenzo). We dined on a lavish spread that incorporated our southern Louisiana and Georgia roots.
I wore an ivory strapless satin Eve of Milady mermaid gown with a beaded sweetheart neckline, layered skirt and corseted back with beaded detailing along the corset. My bracelet was my favorite accessory. As soon as I saw the dress, I knew that I needed a statement bracelet as not to complete with the bodice of the dress. My bracelet had large stones that really caught the light and stood out in all of our pictures.
Incorporation of Culture
We entered the reception with a traditional New Orleans second line as tribute to the bride’s Louisiana roots. All of the umbrellas were custom made to coordinate with the wedding colors. The guests were given custom-made handkerchiefs to join in the fun.
- Wedding Dress: Justin Alexander
- Hair: Bridals by Lori
- Makeup: Bridals by Lori
- Ceremony/Reception Location: The Biltmore Ballrooms
- Photographer: In the Moment Photography
- Wedding Planner: Idyllic Fete
- Florist: Brides and Blooms
- Catering: Affairs to Remember
- Cake: Cakes by La’Meeka