Denise and Alex’s garden boho micro wedding was featured in the Fall/Winter 2021 issue of MunaLuchi Bride Magazine! View the digital magazine here!
“Inhale… Exhale… It’s your day, take it all in. Be present in the moment and remember that the marriage is far more important than the wedding day. Things are bound to go wrong, shrug it off and marry your King.” – Denise (Bride)
Before Denise met her King, Alex, she was hesitant to be set up by her friend and go on their first date due to negative past experiences. She eventually agreed, unaware that she’d be meeting her future hubby. Denise shares, “We had really good conversations and Alex had a very calm demeanor.”
Alex proposed during the height of the pandemic during a day trip to the beach. Similarly, with their first date, Denise wasn’t immediately interested in the idea of going, but eventually, after some convincing, she agreed. After a few unsuccessful attempts to get the perfect proposal spot, Alex popped the question while they were sitting on the trunk of their car just before going home. “He stepped back and looked me in my eyes and said “no, I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you, will you marry me?” and pulled out the ring. I immediately started balling…”
For their wedding, Denise and Alex celebrated with a charming outdoor garden-boho micro wedding, complete with a beautiful and delicious brunch! “I literally loved everything about our wedding. It was the most perfect day.”
See the beautiful details below!
- Couple: Alexsander and Denise
- Location of Wedding: Chez Fennoy Private Estate; Glendale, CA
- Wedding Date: April 3, 2021
- Wedding flowers: Our floral designer is the absolute best. We went to the flower mart together and zeroed in on some design ideas that would match our colors and wedding theme. I wanted to utilize more dried elements since we had an outdoor wedding, so she used a lot of pampas grass, which I loved. My bouquet was also mostly dried elements and it turned out perfect. It still looks the same today as it did on the day of the wedding.
- Favorite item on menu: In theory, my favorite menu item would have been the shrimp and grits but considering I didn’t eat at all during the reception I would have to say I really enjoyed the mimosas. Everyone said the food was really good though.
- First dance song: “Get You” (Daniel Caesar ft. Kali Uchis)
- Advice for brides: Inhale… Exhale… It’s your day, take it all in. Be present in the moment and remember that the marriage is far more important than the wedding day. Things are bound to go wrong, shrug it off and marry your King.
How did you meet?
Both being from Pasadena, Alex and I knew of each other but didn’t officially meet until 2015. A mutual friend was pretty adamant that we should go out on a date. I was super hesitant and kept telling her no because in the past getting set up never worked out for me. But she wore me down.
I gave her my number to give to Alex and told her if he wanted to take me on a date he needed to call and ask me, do not ask me over text. He called and we had our first date at Buffalo Wild Wings on December 15, 2015.
I was pretty nervous walking in to meet him, but I didn’t have any expectations. As the night went on I was pleasantly surprised, we had a really good conversation and Alex had a very calm demeanor. We laughed at the fact that we met at BWW’s and I don’t even eat chicken. Alex suggested it and I just went with it because I didn’t want to be difficult. It all worked out in the end.
Tell us about the proposal
In the summer of 2020, we were in the thick of the pandemic and it was taking its toll on both of us. Most places were closed and I was very nervous about being in public and around people. I was working from home but Alex still had to go to work every day. He kept mentioning that he wanted to go to the beach and I was not interested at all. But he convinced me by saying he feels like all he does is go to work and go home.
So, one weekend we planned a beach day. We picked up food and headed to Zuma beach in Malibu. When we pulled up there were like a million people and a long line to get into the parking lot. I told Alex not to pull in because there were too many people and I was not going to get out of the car. Seeing that many people gave me anxiety.
We drove up PCH trying to find a less crowded part of the beach. Alex really wanted to find this area we randomly stumbled upon one time we were in the area. We couldn’t find it. We did find a more secluded area that overlooked the ocean with way fewer people. As we are sitting and talking, he asked me to walk down this really rocky area and I kept saying no because I didn’t want to slip and fall. I could tell Alex was a little agitated at me being difficult but that was normal lol.
An unexpected surprise…
It was getting cold so we walked back to the car to get my sweater. We were sitting on the trunk of the car and after some time I was ready to go. Alex hopped off the car and stood in front of me sparking up another conversation. We talked a little longer and I reached out to have him help me down off the trunk.
As he was holding me, he said “you know I love you, right?”, I said, “Of course, I love you too”. He then said, “I really love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you”, this was not the first time he said this so my response was “me too babe”. He stepped back and looked me in my eyes and said “no, I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you, will you marry me?” and pulled out the ring. I immediately started balling crying, I could barely even say yes. It was the most perfect memorable moment.
How did you know they were “the one”?
Alex says he knew I was the one after our first date. As for me, I don’t think there was a specific moment; there were so many things that assured me he was the one. He always made me feel safe and secure, I never had to question his love or loyalty for me, and that kind of peace was priceless and something I had never experienced before.
Did you incorporate any culture into your wedding?
We incorporated the African tradition of Jumping the Broom.
Describe your wedding style
Our wedding style was Garden Boho. We had a micro wedding so I wanted to make sure the décor told a story and was picturesque. I wanted everything to be very open and flowy which we definitely achieved.
Describe your wedding dress and favorite accessory
My gown was a plunging V-neck lace illusion A-line ball gown with embroidered sequin floral detailing, and flowing tulle and organza skirt with horsehair hemline and cascading cathedral train. My favorite wedding accessory would have to be a necklace Alex got me for my birthday a few weeks before the wedding. It was a personalized necklace that said “Cullins” but he said I couldn’t wear it until we got married. Putting that necklace on after the ceremony was a really special moment for me, it made it official.
What is your best memory from your wedding?
I literally loved everything about our wedding. It was the most perfect day. But if I had to pick just one memory it would be when my dad was walking me down the aisle and Alex and I saw each other for the first time. I think we were both in awe of how we looked that day. I will never forget the way he gazed into my eyes and told me I looked beautiful.
What is the best advicde you can give to engaged couples?
1. You are a fiancé for a very short amount of time. Try to enjoy it.
2. Don’t get bogged down with what you think tradition is. You are starting a new chapter in life and it can be nice to create your own traditions.
3. If you feel yourself getting overwhelmed it’s okay to take a step back from planning. It can take up a lot of time so schedule days or times where you solely focus on wedding planning and outside of that schedule focus your energy elsewhere. It will all get done.
Looking for more boho wedding inspiration?
- Photography: BYC Photography
- Event Planner: Flawless Weddings And Events
- Bride’s Dress And Veil: Lauren Elaine Bridal
- Bride’s Shoes: Badgley Mischka
- Bridesmaids Dress: Revelry
- Cakes/Desserts: Cocoaberry Cake Company
- Catering: The J&D Food Company
- Ceremony/Reception Venue: Chez Fennoy
- Event Decor/Design: Flawless Weddings And Events
- Florals: Flawless Weddings And Events
- Groom’s Attire: Michael Ferrera Custom Clothing
- Groomsmen Attire: The Black Tux
- Hair: Cloud 9 Beauty Bar
- Draping: Illuminate Event Services
- Linens: Mtb Event Rentals
- Makeup: Beat Beauty
- Nails: Panic Room Nails
- Rentals: Sweet Salvage Rentals And Mtb Event Rentals
- Stationery: Etsy
- Videography: Forever By Her