Jessica and Rashaan’s fabulous Chicago wedding was the epitome of class.
College sweethearts Jessica and Rashaan spent months sharing looks and glances before speaking a word to one another. Eventually, Rashaan got Jessica’s number from a mutual friend and they have been together ever since!
For the proposal, Rashaan whisked Jessica away to NYC for a romantic winter getaway. On the third night of their trip, Rashaan took Jessica to an upscale restaurant, got down on one knee, and popped the question, to which she replied, “Yes, about damn time!”.
Their Chicago wedding was luxurious, sophisticated, and romantic and had just the right amount of bling. From the bride and groom’s custom attire to the elegant gold, mauve, and white decor, their wedding was the epitome of chic. Rashaan even surprised Jessica by having legendary violinist, Lee England Jr., serenade her as she walked down the aisle and by presenting her with a brand new Mercedes!
See the gorgeous details from this beautiful wedding featured in our Winter 2021 magazine below!
- Full Name of Couple: Jessica Pulex & Rashaan Melvin
- Location of Wedding: The Geraghty, Chicago, IL
- Wedding Date: July 13, 2019
- Photographed by: Cristina G Photography
- Wedding flowers:
- For the ceremony: Hanging Circular Canopy: suspended greenery halo embellished with a light accent of faux white hydrangea, white spray roses, and white stock.
- Dining Tables: Head Table: Mirrored table with petite arrangements of white, mauve, and blush roses, slender clear glass candlesticks with floating candles, and a collection of clear glass votive candles.
- Long Dining Tables: two white hydrangea clouds, elevated on gold painted risers, embellished with white roses and hanging votive candles. The wire holding the hanging votive candles will be decorated with white floral blooms. Displayed on the tabletop will be an abundance of petite floral arrangements of white hydrangea and roses in white, mauve, and blush as well as a collection of clear glass candlesticks and clear votive candles.
- Round Dining Table – Style 1: An arrangement of white hydrangea and roses in white, mauve, and blush in a silver mercury compote. Surrounding the arrangement will be three clear glass candlesticks with floating candles and a collection of clear glass votive candles.
- Round Dining Table – Style 2: A gold 28″ tall riser hosting a loose arrangement of white hydrangea and roses in white, mauve, and blush. Surrounding the arrangement will be a collection of clear glass votive candles and rose petals.
- Bridal Bouquet: Bouquet of white spray roses, peonies, ranunculus, and other complimenting white flowers.
- Favorite item on menu: Favorite item on the menu would have to be the carne aside mini tacos during the cocktail hour. Our guests still talk about how good the food was.
- Bridesmaids/groomsmen gifts: Bridesmaids received personalized hangers and necklaces, while the groomsmen were treated to personalized bottles of Johnny Walker Black Label.
- First dance song: “You and I” by John Legend
- Advice for brides: Make sure to eat on your wedding day. It will probably be the only good meal you have for the rest of the day!
How did you know they were “the one”?
Jessica: I knew he was the one after spending more time together seeing his character and how he approached life. I said to myself this guy is different, he’s the one for me. Also, seeing him around his family. The love he has for his nieces and nephews and how much of a family man he is. I knew he would be a great father. Then we had our son RJ who is 5 now and I fell in love all over again.
Rashaan: I think it was pretty easy for me. When I first came across Jessica’s presence, everything inside of who I am told me she would be the one to complete me. It was one of those things that you speak into existence and watch it manifest. From that day forward everything I thought about wasn’t just me, but us. How can we be the best for each other? How can we be the best for our future kids? How can we stay strong when there are going to be things to try to tear us apart? A lot of questions, and a lot of uncertainty, but I was willing to put my trust in my spirit. She validated everything it was telling me. And still is!
Did you incorporate any culture into your wedding?
We didn’t incorporate culture but we incorporated religion. We’re both Christians and had the lighting of the candle ceremony.
Describe your wedding style
I wanted our wedding to be modern, yet have a romantic, airy feel. White floral was a must. The gold and mauve accents brought everything together.
Describe your wedding dress and your favorite wedding accessory
My wedding dress was everything! I loved the way Ryan and Walter put it together. It was blinged out yet subtle. I wanted a slim, mermaid dress without all of the frills. It was also a 2 in 1 dress. I had a detachable skirt that was used for the ceremony to give that dramatic look and I took it off for the reception. My favorite wedding accessory was my earrings that Rashaan surprised me with. I was not expecting it and it completed my look.
What is your best memory from your wedding?
My best memory from our wedding would have to be the first look. It was a feeling I can’t describe. I was overfilled with joy to see my soon to be husband and to have our son there was the cherry on top.
What is the best wedding advice you can give to engaged couples?
Enjoy the process. I know it may be frustrating at times and a little chaotic but enjoy the moment together.
- Planning & Design: SQN Events
- Photography: Cristina G Photography
- Ceremony & Reception Venue: The Geraghty
- Getting Ready Location: The Langham Hotel Chicago
- Floral & Decor: Kehoe Designs
- Lighting & Special Effects: Black Oak Technical Productions
- Catering: Blue Plate
- Linens: BBJ Linen
- Invitation: Magnificent Milestones
- Reception Paper Goods: Minted
- Dress: Ryan & Walter
- Groom’s Attire: ESQ
- Dresser: The Wedding Dresser
- Ceremony Entertainment: Lee England, Jr.
- Reception Entertainment: DJ Aris
- Makeup: Troye Antonio
- Cake: Bittersweet Pastry Shop
- Videographer: Poetic Productions
- Photo Booth: ShutterBooth Chicago
- Transportation: M&M Limousine