Couple’s intimate backyard wedding has dark and moody decor, a star-studded virtual guest list, and an ample amount of love!
From 120 guests in the Santa Monica Mountains in 2020, to an intimate wedding with 30 guests at their View Park home in 2021, John and Ashley’s wedding plans changed dramatically in the aftermath of the pandemic. But little did they know, this change would be for the best.
The gorgeous couple exchanged vows, with their closest family and friends poolside in their backyard, along with 100 guests watching via Zoom. Some of their guests included celebrity stylist Enrique Melendez, celebrity make-up artist Sir John, 2-time Olympic medalist Lindsey Berg, and more. Their wedding proves that sometimes less is more.
More sweet details below (and check out their feature in MunaLuchi Bride Issue 25 here!).
- Couple: John Kenneth Moore and Ashley Elizabeth Thomas
- Occupations: VP Marketing, LVMH (groom); Executive Director, Magic Links (bride).
- Wedding date: February 12, 2021
- Wedding location: Los Angeles, CA
- What gifts did you give to your bridesmaids and groomsmen: Ashley gave her maid of honor (her sister) a silk robe. Kenny gave the best man (his brother) a set of cufflinks
- Gifts for one another: N/A, we bought a house!
- Ceremony entrance song: “Forever” by Jason Nelson
- Newlyweds Introduction song: “The Closer I Get to You” – Donny Hathaway & Roberta Flack
- First dance song: “Nothing Can Change This Love” – Sam Cooke
How they met…
Issa Ray’s launch party Insecure Fest
After a helicopter ride and a trip to a bluff in Malibu Kenny proposed with my dream pear-shaped diamond engagement ring, 1- year to the date of the first time we met.
Dark and Moody featuring jewel tones. Black Excellence.
Wedding attire & shopping experience…
The bride wore a couture gown with a matching removable skirt; the groom wore a Black tuxedo
My first shopping trip was to Saks Fifth Avenue with my mom. We didn’t have an appointment but decided to check out their bridal salon. Fortunately, they were able to add me to their appointment schedule and I tried on 7 beautiful dresses. I thought I found my dress, but on my second shopping trip with my mom, sister and best friend to JLM Couture, I found the one.
Kenny knew from the moment he proposed, he would be wearing a tuxedo but not just any old tuxedo. He decided to go to purchase a custom, peak lapel, single-button tuxedo.
We incorporated the African tradition of jumping the broom at the end of our ceremony.
Best wedding day memory…
Place Settings & decor…
Advice for other engaged couples…
Keep it simple and book a planner, photographer, and videographer that you love.
Looking for more intimate backyard wedding inspiration?
- Photography: Nola Fontanez Photography
- Wedding Planner/Designer: Posh Events & Affairs
- Wedding dress designer: Lazarro
- Dress salon: JLM Couture
- Bridesmaid Dress: Dessy Collection
- Hair: Angela Stevens
- Makeup: Sir John
- Shoes: Bride/ Alexandre Birman; Groom/ Celine
- Ceremony/Reception Location: The couple’s View Park home
- Videography: Amor in Motion Films
- Florist: Natalie Blooms
- Cake: Susie Cakes
- DJ: DJ Monte
- Groom’s Attire: Ermenegildo Zenga Tuxedo
- Groomsman Attire: Ermenegildo Zegna
- Rentals: La Pinata Rentals
- Caterer: Served LA