When Kori and Darnell met one Spring night in Manhattan, they had no clue what a loving relationship the future had in store for them. Kori shares, “I tried to ignore him, but he was persistent and I was intrigued…This eventually led to our first date and years later our marriage.”
Darnell shocked Kori by proposing during their house warming game night in the presence of close friends. The sweet proposal rendered Kori speechless and is remembered as one of the best moments of her life.
Featuring an abundance of red roses, candles, and gold accents, their modern, yet classic wedding overflowed with rich red romance. Kori put energy into every detail so that their wedding would perfectly reflect them and their love. Their loved one’s support and positivity made the night that much more special and memorable.
See the beautiful details below!
- Couple: Darnell & Kori
- Location of Wedding: The Surf Club on the Sound, New Rochelle, NY
- Wedding Date: April 3, 2021
- Photographer for Wedding: Steve Will Photo
- Wedding flowers: Red Roses
- Favorite item on menu: Chicken Francese
- Bridesmaids/groomsmen gifts: Bridesmaids Gift – Robe, Earrings, Make Up Bag Groomsmen Gift – Personalized Hunting Knives and Decanter Sets
- First dance song: “Gotta Be”- Jagged Edge
- Advice for brides: My advice for brides is to make sure you eat!! Also, be sure to have someone from the venue bring you exactly what you want from the cocktail room and also pack a to-go plate for you seeing as how you really don’t get to eat from the cocktail hour which in some cases may be really great food.
How did you meet?
We met on a Spring night in April of 2007 in Manhattan. One of Darnell’s childhood friends used to date an old friend of mine. We all happen to be in the city and were looking to party. Our friends that were dating at the time suggested we all meet up and head to a club, and so we did. We all had a great time and as we started to end the night and head home Darnell asked for my phone number and email address. He explained that he was a DJ and promoter and would like to invite me out to his events. (He finessed me lol). From then on he would randomly check in on me sparking conversation and even though I tried to ignore him he was persistent and I was intrigued lol. This eventually lead to our first date and years later our marriage.
Tell us all about the proposal
When Darnell proposed I didn’t see it coming at all! Some women say they have a feeling when it’s coming but not for me. in 2018 We moved into our new Co-Op and we had a housewarming game night celebration to bless our new home with our close friends. We were all in the living room when Darnell announced he wanted to give a prayer to bless the house before it got too late. As he is sitting next to me he begins to read this prayer he had on his phone and begins to stumble over words. I started to look at him like “what is wrong with him? lol” Next thing I know he pulls out a ring box and asked me to marry him. I was in complete SHOCK, I couldn’t move or breathe lol. It was one of the best days of my life.
How did you know they were “the one”?
I knew Darnell was the one because I honestly can’t see my life without him. He is really my best friend. Whether it’s something good or bad he is the first person I want to run to. I have the best time with him, and when I think of all my most memorable moments in life he is right there. We know each other’s love language.
Describe your wedding style
My wedding style was one of modern romance I would say. It was exactly how we pictured it. An evening wedding, dimly lit with candles everywhere. Everything Blacked out with Gold detailing and Red Roses all over. It screamed US!
Describe your wedding dress and favorite wedding accessory
My wedding dress was beautiful. I purchased it from Pantora Bridal, Brooklyn NY. The first thing I loved about this bridal store is that it is Black-owned. My dress was fitted and flared at the bottom with a beautiful train and showed just enough cleavage to give my husband that WOW effect. My favorite accessory was my veil. Funny enough because I have short hair I didn’t want the veil. But, the second time I went dress shopping I tried one on just to see how it would look, and the moment I put it on my friends and I were in tears.
What is your best memory from your wedding?
My best memory from the wedding was all the love and positive energy I felt in the room when I walked down the aisle. Seeing how happy everyone was for my husband and me was a feeling I can’t describe. Not to mention the look in my Husbands eyes as he watched me approach the altar.
What is the best wedding advice you can give to engaged couples?
My advice to engaged couples is to give yourself more than enough planning time, don’t rush the process. Take your time and make sure you put your personality and energy into every detail so that the room reflects your love. Also definitely do the First look, by doing so you save a lot of time and it allows for you to get those great photos you pay so much for and when its reception time you can enjoy it.
Looking for more modern & romantic wedding inspiration?
- Bride’s Dress: Pantora Bridal
- Bridal Salon: Pantora Bridal
- Bride’s Headpiece And/Or Veil: Marry Bridal Us
- Bride’s Shoes: Azalea Wang
- Bridesmaids Dresses: Atiana’s Boutique Bridal
- Venue: Surf Club On The Sound
- Event Decor/Design: Fun Fete Fabulous Event Planning & Design
- Dance Floor Installer: FM Event Productions
- Entertainment: MC – MC Fame Fortune DJ- Dj Danny Dee; Da Union DJs
- Event Planner: Groom / My Uber Event Service
- Florals: Fun Fete Fabulous Event Planning & Design
- Groom’s and Groomsmen Attire: Keith Thompson
- Hair: Elegance Of Amor
- Lighting & Sound: Tsg Production
- Linens: The Finishing Touch Ny
- Makeup: Melissa Fettigusto / Mema Creations
- Photography: Steve Williams Photography / 2nd Shooter: Dre Bless
- Reception Venue: Surf Club On The Sound
- Rentals: Glam Party Rentals
- Stationery: Lepenn Designs
- Videography: Velo films NYC