They knew of one another for 10 years, thanks to social media and mutual friends, before finally meeting in person. Throughout most of their lives they were so close, yet somehow always missed one another, until fate swept in and brought them to the same hotel on Victoria Island.
We ran into each other at a hotel in Victoria Island and exchanged numbers. The rest they say is history! Isn’t it so crazy my soulmate and I grew up 20 minutes away from each other, went to University together, have mutual friends, yet so far away from each other?Bride
See the beautiful details below!
- Couple: Kelechi & Meme Umunnakwe
- Location of Wedding: Upper Unionville Golf Club, Markham, Ontario, Canada
- Wedding Date: August 1st, 2020
- Photographer for Wedding: F10 Studio
Quick Facts From the Bride
- Wedding flowers: IG @petalsflowersgifts
- Favorite item on menu: My wedding cake
- Bridesmaid’s/Groomsmen gifts: Curated by bride
- Advice for brides: Prioritise and look for deals even when you love the item for example your dress, don’t act too excited and always ask for a discount. Weddings are expensive. Also, don’t expect your hubby to be as excited and meticulous as you.
Tell us how you met
KC and I have “known” each other for over 10 years. We first met on Facebook. We didn’t really know each other, but we knew of each other and stayed connected on social media over the years. On a Saturday morning, we ran into each other at a hotel in Victoria Island and exchanged numbers. The rest they say is history! Isn’t it so crazy my soulmate and I grew up 20 minutes away from each other, went to University together, have mutual friends, yet so far away from each other? Meeting at that hotel in Victoria Island on a Saturday morning was the beginning of our forever that cemented our love.
KC isn’t great at surprises; from birthdays to dinners etc. So I knew when he was likely gonna pop the question. We’ve talked about things like ring shape, ring size, not proposing in public, not proposing on my birthday, etc. However, on my birthday, with the help of my amazing friend Amanda, KC defiled all rules I had set up about proposals and asked me to marry him after we had just had dessert.
How did you know they were “the one”?
We wanted the same things in life, he knew how to handle all my weaknesses and he always put me first in everything. The final step was to present his case to God and that sealed the deal for me.
Did you incorporate any culture into your wedding?
No. We planned to, however COVID had other plans.
Describe your wedding style
Intimate, romantic, and modern.
Describe your wedding dress and your favorite wedding accessory
My favorite accessory would be my bouquet. I was able to include pictures of my late dad and my late mother–in–law.
What is your best memory from your wedding?
Every part of it. It was short and intimate and we had so much fun.
What is the best wedding advice you can give to engaged couples?
Just have fun. A wedding is about you and your spouse. Take a million pictures and do what you love, even when you know African parents won’t want that.
- Bride’s Dress & Veil: IG:@morileecanada
- Bride’s Shoes: Amazon
- Make up: IG: @eminentallure
- Hair: IG: @arthurhair @arthurhairbridal
- Cake: IG: @cakeriecraft_toronto
- Rings: IG: @diamondsforless
- Decor: IG: @aalavishdecor
- Floral: IG: @petalsflowersgifts
- Groom & Groomsmen Suit: IG: @stevenfashions
- Entertainment: DJ Olar
- Event planner: Bride
- Wedding venue: IG: @upperunionvillegolfclub
- Officiant: IG: @jondavehat
- Photography: f10 studio IG: @f10studio
- Videography & YouTube Livestream: f10 studio IG: @f10film
- Bride’s Robe: IG: @tinakatelier
- Bridesmaids’ Dresses: IG: @fashionnova
- Bridesmaids make up: IG: @theglamlifeco
- Rentals: Venue